Raw feeding dog (Yes! No?)

Pics
My sister owns a true blue pit bull with severe skin problems and he smells the way Bleu cheese tastes. He's allergic to just about everything including beef and chicken. My brother in law finally resorted to feeding the beast raw venison, including all organ meat except the intestines. It was a miracle. The dog's skin cleared up, his digestive issues cleared up and he smells like a dog now.

The state they live in is overrun by deer and the license allows three deer per year. If you harvest three, you can purchase additional deer tags for $12 each, IIRC.

My sister has three chest freezers just for the dog's food. My BIL cuts the meat into "ours" and "his" piles- backstraps and loins for people, everything else for the dog, and he cuts the dog's meat into serving sized portions and vacuum wraps the portions individually. At lunch, they take a dinner portion out to defrost. Before bed, they take out the morning feeding to defrost, and they feed the raw venison at room temperature.

It's impractical for most people to do what they're doing but, with one tiny dog, you might buy cheap unpopular stuff like hearts, kidneys, stomachs etc from a local butcher.

We personally raw feed our LGDs that live outside. We used to raise meat rabbits and have a bunch of them in the freezer since we got out of the business. We also feed raw chicken, organ and scrap meat (things we don't eat after butchering animals), and occasionally raw eggs and bird feet. It's also a good idea to add furs/hide into the diet a few times a week. I would recommend transitioning your doggie slowly because some dogs take a while to get used to eating raw versus having kibble. You may notice diarrhea the first or second meal once they are switched to the raw diet, but after that usually their poos get better and more solid.

We originally switched to raw after I donated some organ meat to a local German Shepherd trainer that asks for donations towards her dogs because I believe she trains them for law enforcement. Anyways, it interested me and she gave me advice and videos and I researched the idea and saw the benefits the raw diet provided. I also had just bred my Great Pyrenees female for the first time and she had 10 babies eating her up and no matter how much kibble I fed her, she wouldn't gain much weight until after the puppies started weaning. She wasn't to her original weight once they were weaned and sold off, but once we started the raw diet, she actually now weighs 8 pounds more than her starting weight which is still a good, healthy weight for her. Her starting weight was around 105, when she had the puppies she went down to 93 pounds, now she weighs usually between 112 and 113. And her and my Anatolian Shepherd now have great, shiny coats, they are still very active, and believe it or not, their teeth have been in great condition as well.

I know a lot of people go crazy with feeding raw and go to the extremes and will buy the most expensive food they can get, which isn't a bad thing, but you can look at other options as well if you aren't looking to make a 4 course meal for your dog every time you feed.

We usually try to use what we have grown or raised on the farm, and if we don't have that, we will buy or get donations from other hunters in our area. You can also buy chicken legs and thighs with bones and use a meat grinder to grind the bones and portion out each meal to plan ahead. It's always good to switch it up with cow tongues or livers and that sort of thing as well.

Good luck and don't feel intimidated by the raw diet! We have been impressed with how our dogs look after transitioning about 8 months ago as well as how happy they are when they're fed (rather than being fed boring old kibble).

(We do, however, feed our four year old miniature dachshund kibble still because he has major tummy problems and throws up if he eats anything other than moist kibble.)

We personally raw feed our LGDs that live outside. We used to raise meat rabbits and have a bunch of them in the freezer since we got out of the business. We also feed raw chicken, organ and scrap meat (things we don't eat after butchering animals), and occasionally raw eggs and bird feet. It's also a good idea to add furs/hide into the diet a few times a week. I would recommend transitioning your doggie slowly because some dogs take a while to get used to eating raw versus having kibble. You may notice diarrhea the first or second meal once they are switched to the raw diet, but after that usually their poos get better and more solid.

We originally switched to raw after I donated some organ meat to a local German Shepherd trainer that asks for donations towards her dogs because I believe she trains them for law enforcement. Anyways, it interested me and she gave me advice and videos and I researched the idea and saw the benefits the raw diet provided. I also had just bred my Great Pyrenees female for the first time and she had 10 babies eating her up and no matter how much kibble I fed her, she wouldn't gain much weight until after the puppies started weaning. She wasn't to her original weight once they were weaned and sold off, but once we started the raw diet, she actually now weighs 8 pounds more than her starting weight which is still a good, healthy weight for her. Her starting weight was around 105, when she had the puppies she went down to 93 pounds, now she weighs usually between 112 and 113. And her and my Anatolian Shepherd now have great, shiny coats, they are still very active, and believe it or not, their teeth have been in great condition as well.

I know a lot of people go crazy with feeding raw and go to the extremes and will buy the most expensive food they can get, which isn't a bad thing, but you can look at other options as well if you aren't looking to make a 4 course meal for your dog every time you feed.

We usually try to use what we have grown or raised on the farm, and if we don't have that, we will buy or get donations from other hunters in our area. You can also buy chicken legs and thighs with bones and use a meat grinder to grind the bones and portion out each meal to plan ahead. It's always good to switch it up with cow tongues or livers and that sort of thing as well.

Good luck and don't feel intimidated by the raw diet! We have been impressed with how our dogs look after transitioning about 8 months ago as well as how happy they are when they're fed (rather than being fed boring old kibble).

(We do, however, feed our four year old miniature dachshund kibble still because he has major tummy problems and throws up if he eats anything other than moist kibble.)
Yes indeed. I think I will try to feed her the "better" meat. Mainly because she is so small and only eats 3/4 of a cup per meal! Two meals a day!

So yes, she will be quite cheap to feed. I want to buy larger packs so that they can last a while. But yeah, I understand how it can be quite costly for larger breed dogs. Thats also a reason why I am not as stressed about preparing her meals. I just do not want her sick! (or me!)

Back
Top Bottom