RAW goats or cows milk for chickens...

True and yes, a bit of an exaggeration.

We have goats here, but also belong to a herd share where we get weekly allotments of raw milk from a local farmer.

The reason for folks getting sick is from the harvesting and/or handling. Hairs, blood, etc. Most herd share farms encourage you to visit the operation to see first hand how they milk the cows and bottle it for you.

recently my wife and I did a 2 week "detox" where all we consumed was the milk, and water. It was an incredible experience, and what was totally cool is that there was absolute no feelings of hunger the entire time. The "cravings" became pretty extreme, but overall it was an awesome experience. Look forward to doing it again.
One can only hope the chickens feel equally rejuvinated should you decide to feed them some unpasteurized milk in their diet, though I would caution against feeding them a diet soley comprised of such milk.

Opposed to hijacking the thread where this came up, I figured it start a new one 😉

There is a a lot of speculation and old wives(boys) club responses here on BYC, but does anyone have any legitimate sources on why feeding fresh, raw livestock milk in moderation can be harmful to your flock?

I don't argue that supermarket milk is pointless (for the flock and for us) the dense nutrients have been pasteurized out.

Matt
I'm all for raw milk, I can't drink supermarket milk. I usually let mine go into curds and then give to my chickens. Just make sure it tastes good too you first. I let it go over to much and it was very sharp and unappetizing.

Too bad you dislike pasteurization, it does not destroy nutrients, and has saved many many lives.
Mary
Pasteurized milk makes me sick, when I switched to raw I had no ill symptoms. I can actually drink a little bit of pasteurized milk now... However most of the milk in our stores are now ultra pasteurized, you can't make yogurt or cheese from it, the proteins are completely denatured.

True and yes, a bit of an exaggeration.

We have goats here, but also belong to a herd share where we get weekly allotments of raw milk from a local farmer.

The reason for folks getting sick is from the harvesting and/or handling. Hairs, blood, etc. Most herd share farms encourage you to visit the operation to see first hand how they milk the cows and bottle it for you.

recently my wife and I did a 2 week "detox" where all we consumed was the milk, and water. It was an incredible experience, and what was totally cool is that there was absolute no feelings of hunger the entire time. The "cravings" became pretty extreme, but overall it was an awesome experience. Look forward to doing it again.
Tell me more about this, how much of each did you drink?

I'm all for raw milk, I can't drink supermarket milk. I usually let mine go into curds and then give to my chickens. Just make sure it tastes good to you first. I let it go over too much and it was very sharp and unappetizing.
My father in law loves sour milk, but it isn't for me 😂

Our heard share has discard, usually the first bit that comes out after they clean the utters and before they hook up the milker and it is a really heavy cream, full of colostrum. It is generally clean, but not recommended for us to consume. The farm where it comes from, they feed it to the poultry and pigs daily. We get 1/2 gallon of that per week and give it to our 50 hens every Wednesday. They go absolutely berserk over it.

Tell me more about this, how much of each did you drink?
We were inspired by this article. I can't remember where we calculated it, but I (180lb male) allotted 3/4 of a gallon/day and my wife (105lb female) was at about 5/8 of a gallon or so. She measured it in grams. But really, we just drank as if we were having it as a meal or snack throughout the day.

I will say the gentlemen in the article is right on point with how your body detoxes. Your body odor will be horrendous from it cleaning itself out. And it maybe an over share here, but be very prepared before hand for the constipation the first week. We took something called slippery elm root, in the spirit of keeping it natural, and it cleared us right up.

We were inspired by this article. I can't remember where we calculated it, but I (180lb male) allotted 3/4 of a gallon/day and my wife (105lb female) was at about 5/8 of a gallon or so. She measured it in grams. But really, we just drank as if we were having it as a meal or snack throughout the day.

I will say the gentlemen in the article is right on point with how your body detoxes. Your body odor will be horrendous from it cleaning itself out. And it maybe an over share here, but be very prepared before hand for the constipation the first week. We took something called slippery elm root, in the spirit of keeping it natural, and it cleared us right up.
What were the benefits that you observed for you and your wife?

does anyone have any legitimate sources on why feeding fresh, raw livestock milk in moderation can be harmful to your flock?
raw milk can contain Staphylococcus aureus (e.g. if the cow has mastitis), and Listeria spp., and can transmit toxoplama protozoa too. The risk varies with a lot of factors. Source: FAO 2023 https://doi.org/10.4060/cc3912en (a long and hard read, but definitely legitimate).

raw milk can contain Staphylococcus aureus (e.g. if the cow has mastitis), and Listeria spp., and can transmit toxoplama protozoa too. The risk varies with a lot of factors. Source: FAO 2023 https://doi.org/10.4060/cc3912en (a long and hard read, but definitely legitimate).
Definitely, anything that's unadulterated has risks, however if you know your source the risk is deminimus. I can't drink pasteurized milk, it causes me alot of pain. With raw milk I have zero issues.

Back
Top Bottom