1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Raw green beans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 4 luv of eggs, Oct 9, 2010.

1. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have some raw green beans that are fine but have gotten too rubbery for my liking. Can I feed them raw or should I give them a quick steam and cool?

2. Sparks

Sparks Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Mine never would eat them raw. Might try cooking them.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Mine either. Of the one vegetable my birds left alone in the garden, it was the beans. Which of course weren't my favorite either. We both like the tomatoes. [​IMG]

4. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Green or pole beans are one of the beans safe to eat raw. Whether they eat them that way or not I don't know. Mine didn't bother them on the vines but they had plenty of other areas to roam and didn't head to the garden much. The ones I had leftover or picked too late I fed to the rabbits and sugar gliders.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. johny

johny Songster

May 22, 2010
    The big nasty ones from the garden, that get oversized because you miss them, or can't eat them all fast enough, is what I fed my birds.
    But only after I steamed them in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften them. Then chop into chicken sized bites.
    They loved them

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    mine only eat em cooked slightly

7. pdxblossom

pdxblossom In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I gave some raw ones to my girls last week and they ate them . . . but only after they ate all the tomatoes, grapes and scrambled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by