Raw meat

I feed them both raw and cooked, depends on what I have. I cannot believe how much chickens like to eat chicken.

I feed my chickens raw meat.

People feed there earth worms and grasshoppers to there chickens and not think anything about there chickens getting a parasite from them. But let someone talk about feeding raw meat to there chickens and "Oh no that's not good" I say feed them the raw meat if you like there are worse thing your chickens could eat than raw meat. Chickens can get Syngamus trachea (Red worm, Gape worm, Forked worm). from eating earth worms, grasshoppers and snails.

Chris

I can only imagine how my husband would react if I fed the flock raw meat. He has a difficult time dealing with it if I feed them cooked chicken. My son tattled on me last week when he found the chicken carcass, "DADDY! Mommy fed the chickens chicken!"

He just can't grasp the concept that chickens aren't vegetarians. The first time I made over easy eggs with our own eggs, he couldn't finish his breakfast. He said that he kept thinking about the fact that he was eating Japanese Beetles with his breakfast! I can imagine what he'd say after eating eggs that came from chickens that ate from a fresh killed deer! LOL

I feed my chickens deer meat whenever we have freezer burnt meat leftover from the year before. I have feed it raw and usually I zap it in the microwave. This year i was making some summer sausage for us and decided to run the cooked venison thru the grinder with a coarse blade. Worked out real well. My question here is, can you feed chickens too much protein thru meat? Like how often should I be giving them this meat? Could they get protein overdose?
idunno.gif

We threw a couple of raw whole fish to the girls on Saturday and they wouldn't touch them. My husband had to cook them on the grill and pull them into pieces for them.

They scarfed down the deer trimmings I threw to them last week. I guess they want them bite-sized. Spoiled things!

I have no fear giving them, or my dog, raw meats if it's organic and not factory farmed.

Raw deer is around 21% protein. I feed 22% gamebird feed to my chickens. I think they'd have other health problems from too much meat before the protein was an issue.

You can look up other meats and anything else eaten by humans by searching the usda nutrient database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ .

Back
Top Bottom