Raw Milk

It is in most states. I am very impressed with a young family that just moved here to Idaho from Oregon; they just go the very first state certified license to sell raw milk in Idaho. Nobody had done it before, so don't think you can't just figure out what it takes. Also most people sell it as "pet food" and do a great business.

I remember some 40 years ago moving to California - Malibu to be precise. The whole atmosphere was great and very health conscious. Grocery stores sold ALTADENA raw milk. I just checked them out on the internet

http://www.altadenadairy.com/

and it appears they no longer are allowed to sell raw milk. There is such a push to pasteurize all milk and dairy products, mostly because the source, the milkfarms don't always feed their cows the best food or give them adequate exercise. We assume all cows are free ranging all day, eating grass and have great lives. It's not so... So the industry has had to "protect" the public as it were by pasteurizing everything. I remember as a kid we'd get our whole raw milk delivered to us in 1/2 gallon jars, that thick layer of cream on top. Man that was the best.

It's encouraging to see young folks trying to do it the old fashioned way - I really tip my hat to them. They have to be inspected a lot than any establishment that supposedly pasteurizes it's milk... And "the establishment" is always looking to protect the public because they assume the natural dairies treat their cows like the commercial ones. A shame.

In lndiana you can do herd shares so others can get raw milk, but I can't sell it. It is against the law. It is a shame. Raw milk is so much better than the gross stuff from the store and it is healthier for you. I am luck to have my own goats and cows.

WOOOOO!!!! I posted on Craigslist, and I will be joining a cow share soon for a purdy Jersey cow
big_smile.png

Now I want to learn how to make cheese
big_smile.png

Quote:
I belong to a cow share near Standish.

I make cheese for myself and them with the milk (they occasionally give me an extra gallon and we split the cheese in half).

Congrats! It's fun getting and drinking raw milk. Just wait to you have fresh cream to have with fresh Michigan strawberries and blackberries
droolin.gif

Quote:
I belong to a cow share near Standish.

I make cheese for myself and them with the milk (they occasionally give me an extra gallon and we split the cheese in half).

Congrats! It's fun getting and drinking raw milk. Just wait to you have fresh cream to have with fresh Michigan strawberries and blackberries
droolin.gif

I want to make cheese! At the rate we consume it I might need to get a few shares.

Advise - links, info, books on cheese making, please???
big_smile.png

I use "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes"--Also includes yogurt, kefir and butter recipes

I got it off Amazon.com for about $18.00. Cover price is $24.95. Get the book first and decide what kind of cheeses you want to make before getting cultures, presses, molds, bacteria, etc... Otherwise the web-sites of cheese suppliers will seem a bit overwhelming.

You'll get higher butterfat in your milk than I do, the farm I get it from has holsteins and holsteins crosses with jerseys and galloways. One or two of the cows is Swiss.

I also make butter in a mason jar. I can only skim enough cream off to fill about 1/3 of a quart jar so buying a $120 gallon churn just seems like a waste.

Back
Top Bottom