Raw Milk

Quote:
It's about $14 here, but I can't find anyone close enough. .
I talked to the lady who is selling it. She said that she had so much milk last year that they threw away gallons of milk. I wonder why. :idunno Was the cost of the milk too high? :oops: If that's the case and if it were me, I would have lowered the price and got whatever I could before I threw it down the kitchen sink. What a waste. :hit I will probably purchase a gallon from her and see how it goes. Anyone have any ideas on proper ways to store it raw goat milk? Plastic gallons of glass jars?

I would ask your doctor if it is dairy in general or just the milk in it's natural state. He may be scared off from the reports from the CDC and so on.... have him be VERY specific on WHY you should not consume untreated milk.

Untreated milk is a VERY SAFE food source IF it is handled properly. If people knew what farmers were doing while milking their cows for the processed milk they would never touch the stuff again. As a milk tester for a cheese plant, I have witnessed milk samples come into the plant with manure in the sample and manure all over the bottles. I do not want ANY milk off of those farms!

Here in WI it is illegal to purchase untreated milk for human consumption, but many people are doing it on the sly.... I have a wonderful farmer who unfortunately does not graze his cows (feeds then the 'traditional' silage diet), but I would still take that milk over the junk in the store any day.

Here are a few excellent resources for you to check out.
http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html
http://www.realmilk.com/

My personal thought is that people should be allowed to purchase what they wish to eat. We are allowed to consume undercooked eggs and beef at the risk of being infected with salmonella or E.coli, we are even allowed to consume raw fish (sashimi)! Like all food products, if unpasteurized milk is not handled properly it has the capability of making you ill.

No I have Lupus among other things so I always have a small grade infection in my body. I have 2 doctors and they both told me it is too risky for me.
hit.gif

Mamawolf, I am sorry about that. It does taste good.

$16 a gallon for raw goat milk!
ep.gif
When I was buying it for making soap, I was getting a gallon for $5..... and it was fit for human consumption too.

Here in WI we are trying desperately to change the legislation; of course the big bad Dairy board is frantic that allowing the purchase of REAL milk will taint the industry..... whatever! Like ANY other food production, there needs to be a standard in place on how the product is 'made' or produced. Follow the rules and everyone should be fine.

I grew up on Raw Milk
but we didn't call it raw milk, back then it was just milk

the other milk was called "store milk"
and it tastes like water

I love raw milk
sometimes I drink it just to piss off the FDA

Here in France, it is easy to buy, and in fact, in many grocery store parking lots there is a vending machine where you can buy it 24/7/365. Still, alot of cheese here is made with raw milk.
You never see anything on the TV about problems with it. I love the taste of it, but I don't drink much milk anymore. I do get some great homegrown cheese from the neighbors though.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom