Raw Poultry Scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by casweet8, Nov 4, 2019.

1. casweet8

casweet8 Hatching

Nov 4, 2019
    Hello All,

I was trimming up a store bought turkey for the oven today and set aside an ounce or two of excess skin and tossed it out to the ladies along with some veggies. They loved it. I then thought better of it, as I didn't think of a risk of food borne illness being passed on to them until well after they had devoured the trimmings. Have any of you fed raw poultry to your flocks? At this point I'm more looking for confirmation that I didn't poison my girls, I'm paranoid.

2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I always cook everything for mine

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Enabler

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    My ducks always get all kinds of meat and veggie scraps uncooked, it can't be worse than what they pull out of the ground after a heavy rain-fall. One of my ducks catches mice and lizards and devours them whole, not to talk about the countless grass-hoppers, bugs, spiders, worms and other stuff that has been converted into duck & eggs.
    No idea if chickens or other poultry have more sensitive stomachs, but ducks…

4. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I do the same with no issue. I wouldn’t throw out more than they can eat quickly, but otherwise you’re fine!

Sequel and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Cook it first!!!
    Store bought chicken, at least, is usually contaminated with nasty bacteria from the processing plant; Salmonella, Shigella, and more, 80% of the time. It's why wee cook it before eating it ourselves. It's not sensible to deliberately introduce such contaminants into our pets, or egg producers, ever.
    :sick :sick :sick,
    Mary

Ratchnick, Sequel and penny1960 like this.
  6. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    “Usually”? “80% of the time”?

Where are you getting this info?

Sequel and penny1960 like this.
  7. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Just because I do not want raw at my girls I will at least do it medium to done if they get it or us Welcome to Backyard Chickens also

Sequel likes this.
  8. Rothy_058

Rothy_058 Chirping

May 30, 2019
    South Wales, UK
    I heard, on a BBC documentary, that an alarmingly high percentage of chicken & turkey meat was found to be contaminated with Salmonella and other bacteria. However the opinion was that this wasn't introduced by the 'processing plant' - it's just found within the birds in a high percentage of cases....a figure of around 80% was mentioned in the programme. The use of antibiotics introduced into the feed of the intensively farmed birds to minimise mortality rates has had the unwanted effect of making some of these bugs resistant to certain antibiotics.

Folly's place and Sequel like this.
  9. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I probably misremembered the actual source of contamination, but the high % of contamination is real, and there are repeated studies showing this.
    Also more than one study showing that households where the dogs are fed 'raw diets' have higher likely hood of such organisms present. Again, :sick :sick :sick.
    Mary

10. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    Regardless you don't want to feed your chickens something with any risk of salmonella. If they get it then the salmonella will get in the eggs and you will eat a spoon full of cookie dough or something and trust me, you don't want salmonella poisoning.

Folly's place likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: