Raw skin and streaks on legs

New Chick2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
I just adopted some new birds yesterday and I see this rooster is raw and red on his underside and around the vent. I treated him (and the rest) for mites as a precaution. Any ideas? I have them quarantined away from the rest of my birds.

The red irritated skin on his body could be caused by mites, or possibly by feather picking. Treating for external parasites was a good idea. Watch other birds to make sure that they don't peck him, as that could be irritating the skin as well.

As for the streaks on the legs, they are normal. Many chickens with white or yellow legs develop red streaks. Its often a sign of fertility and vigor.

The red irritated skin on his body could be caused by mites, or possibly by feather picking. Treating for external parasites was a good idea. Watch other birds to make sure that they don't peck him, as that could be irritating the skin as well.

As for the streaks on the legs, they are normal. Many chickens with white or yellow legs develop red streaks. Its often a sign of fertility and vigor.

Do you really think it could be pecking? It is almost exclusively on his underside and around his vent.

Hi. Just 2 days ago I noticed red streaks on my 9 month old Leghorn hen's legs. This was in a 4 day span of chicken "emergencies:" she suddenly was wobbly on her feet, taking a few steps then sitting down. Then I happened to be with her when she had a clear, projectile diarrhea. A little while later, I was lucky enough to see a poop with worms waving at me!! Rushed out and purchased Wazine. I thought it might be all about the worms, but no. The day after worming, she was no better and I found a vet and took her in along with a fresh stool sample. He found coccidia!! He gave her a B12 injection and we began a 7-day course of Albon. I saw the red streaks the 2nd day of treatment. Went back to the vet--he wasn't concerned--and had him check for mites. Negative. So our $2 chicken is now our $100 chicken!

I hope you're right about the streaks being normal! The streaks are still there, but she does seem to be back to normal on this 3rd day of treatment... My fingers are crossed...

Last edited:
I just adopted some new birds yesterday and I see this rooster is raw and red on his underside and around the vent. I treated him (and the rest) for mites as a precaution. Any ideas? I have them quarantined away from the rest of my birds.

Hi. I'm so glad you posted this pic, because my 9 month old Leghorn's legs just now became streaked like that! I didn't know what to think... Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom