Raw turnips for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountainbunny, Dec 13, 2016.

1. mountainbunny

mountainbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    This may be a stupid question,but is it OK to feed raw turnips to my 6 month old chickens? I gave them some of the greens hung up in their coop today and they loved them. Now I have left over raw turnips and I'm wondering if I can feed those as well.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there
    Turnips are not poisonous for chickens so they can eat it.
    I would chop it up and peel it.
    I have never fed my hens turnip but I am not sure if they will eat it
    Because it is hard.
    I would still try it though and let us know how it gets on.
    If it dosnt work Maybe feed them some brassicas eg. Cabbage, broccoli
    They love them!
    Goodluck
    Fionn.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Raw veggies are good for chickens and can also entertain and relieve boredom. I feed jumbo carrots, parsnips, turnips, and cabbage. To maximize the ease of eating, and make it really simple for yourself (no prep), get an eye screw and screw it into the top of the turnip or other raw veggie.

Tie a string to the eye hook and hang it. The vegetable then becomes a "tether ball" while the chickens play with it and eat it. It's very entertaining for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. mountainbunny

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks. I found a small crop of turnip greens down the street from my house with a sign that said "free greens you pick". I went and got a bunch yesterday. I tied a bunch of the greens in a bundle and hung it up. They LOVED it. I'll chop the turnips up and see if they want those too. Don't want to waste them.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    My Chickens love raw turnips. I throw the whole turnips, top and all to them, and they completely devour them with in an hour or two. My Bantams prefer them chopped though. Good luck with your flock.

6. mountainbunny

May 26, 2016
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks... I'm going to give them some tomorrow and see if they like them. If they do I can go get them some more free turnips. Yay for free treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by