Raymonds nest

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
I don't think anyone here really knows, but after the huge incident of when my aunts jack russell mercilessly killed all of my sebastopol goslings, I allowed Raymond, my male pilgrim, to incubate a nest of 5 goose eggs and 2 duck eggs.

He's been on it for quite so time, and there were a couple times, since I lost track of time, that I would lift his big butt up and look to see if there was any pipping going on under him.
The babies, if there were to be any, I thought, would not be pure... they would be a mix of pilgrim & sebastopol... I have absolutely no idea of what that would look like, but you know what, I don't really care, because when I allowed him to incubate the eggs I just was absolutely desperate for goslings! The massacre from the jack russell has left me in such a devastated state of emotions, that I just did not care. Of course, while Raymond was incubating I ended up getting my 2 embdens, and 2 toulouse goslings, which are now quite big by the way, and they are free roaming outside now with Daffy, the lonesome cayuga x muscovy duck, who by the way has taken on the dominant Cayuga traits rather than the muscovy traits, because he is black with beautiful glossy green in his feathers that when they light hits him, he looks amazing!

Okay, back to Raymond. I really honestly did not think any of the eggs under Raymond would hatch, because I had no idea if Raymond was in fact a pilgrim male, thus the fact he is white, or if he was an Embden female, because Raymond is really just sexually confused.
At one point in time I'd see Raymond on top of Glenda, my female smooth-breasted sebastopol, and at another moment, he'd be all feminant sitting on his nest all maturnal and everything.

Since Raymond was on 2 duck eggs, and duck eggs take less time than goose eggs, one of the ducklings hatched awhile back, and Raymond must've not been completely satisfied with his baby, that he pushed it out of the nest and I didn't get to it in time because it was dead.
I have never touched any of his eggs, only one I touched to remove it because it was rotten and it stunk. So I was completely baffled as to why he did that.

Anyways, this morning I was sitting with my pup when I decided I'd go have me a look-see at Raymonds progress.
I went out, opened the stall door, looked to the corner where his nest is to find that outside of the nest, lay a gosling. I ran over and picked it up, figuring it was dead, to find that it was still breathing, but very cold. I picked it up, rushed in the house to my incubator, put a papertowel under it, and set it in.
Raymond must've been ripping the shell open thinking he was helping it, because the area where its' embilical cord meats his stomach is still large, which means it still hasn't finished absorbing everything, so I just let it be, I figure it'll absorb, right?
Anyways, when I took the one baby in I had heard peeping from under Raymond, so I went back out, picked him up, and found another baby under him. Dry, except for the fact it still had a bit of shell on his butt. Raymond must've ripped his shell open too, because he had not fully absorbed his yolk and everything either, because it was large where the embilical cord connects, and I'm hoping he'll be alright.

I was very disapointed in Raymond, and I have no clue why he did what he did. I'm just hoping he doesn't do it to the other goslings under him.

What are your opinions?

Quote:
I agree..

I don't know what to say, other than, I hope the babies survive..

I wouldn't let Raymond sit on any more eggs...if you have a bator, I would take the remaining egg to hatch in the bator..(get the bator up and running steady before actually taking the eggs..)

-Kim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom