Re: feed causing salmonella in chickens and their eggs.

newbie donna

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
SW Missouri
This was reported by Reuters today:

FDA ties chicken feed to salmonella in egg recall
WASHINGTON | Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:02pm EDT
Aug 26 (Reuters) - Feed was the likely cause of the salmonella outbreak at two Iowa producers that sparked a recall of more than a half billion eggs, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Thursday.

The egg recalls came weeks after a new FDA rule took effect requiring large-scale producers to practice better safety and to test in the poultry house for salmonella bacteria.

CNN reports:

(CNN) -- Feed given to hens -- used at both Wright County Egg and Hillandale Farms -- is the likely source of contamination that led to a nationwide salmonella outbreak, federal officials said Thursday.

The feed and some feed ingredients are believed to have been contaminated and are the source of the salmonella, U.S. Food and Drug Administration officials said in a conference call.

It's possible the feed became contaminated after it went through heat treatment that was sufficient to kill salmonella, officials said

My questions are, when after the heat process was the feed contaminated, (at the feed mill, or at the farms) and which feed is it? Am I possibly buying contaminated feed? I can find no answers at all online. Does anyone know?​

I was wondering the same thing-look under random ramblings section someone posted topic on it (i went to the last page)

WOW...
This is Why I mix my own feed at home using natural whole grains..
big_smile.png

I do not buy that commercial feed.. For many reasons... It looks like this is another...
ep.gif

ON

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
The farm in question does not purchase "commercial feed" either, the manufacture their own feed in their own mill. Of course they make THOUSANDS of tons of feed per month for their chickens and hogs.

Jim

hide.gif

I stand corrected.. Thank you..

Still a good reason to buy quality small feed supplier such as yourself or to mix your own so you know the source

Any ideas on how it got contaminated?

(Again sorry.. It is hard for me to contain myself... The Pro industrialists puppy pooped on the rug again...
sad.png
I want to be sure we hold their nose to it....
lol.png
)

ON​

I am in Canada so it may be different here but when I get feed, they take my name and number on the receipt and file it. If there is a problem with the feed, they go through their reciepts and phone the people who bought from that batch. I asked if they have ever had to recall yet and they said no, but I am glad that something is in place for keeping track of potential feed problems.

Since the topic has been brought up, I have to get something off my chest. These farms finger-pointing and playing the blame game really bothers me. Having worked in industries where food inspection is involved, I know there is no such thing as a suprise inspection. They always know when an inspector is coming (sometimes weeks ahead) and have time to `resolve issues`. There has been undercover video from one of the farms and it is horrific! It very well could be a feed problem, but in the cases of these large farms, the problems are often far worse than bad feed.

Yes....the cramped living conditions, the poor air quality, the use of antibiotics in the water/food, poor immune systems of chickens that were never able to develop antibodies to pathogens, no natural light....you name it, any and all of these conditions can contribute to immunocompromised animals.

Quote:
That is the $64,000 question. Unfortunately the testing procedures and investigation aren't as simple nor as fast as shown on CSI or NCIS. I know that the entire feed and livestock industry is waiting anxiously for the results.

Unfortunately the new FDA shell egg regulations, which I believe require testing of flocks for S. enteriditis, were not mandatory until July 9.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom