Re homing a cockerel

MazB

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
Have 5 happy free range hens and have been asked if I could rehome an unwanted bantam chicken. If I introduced him to the gang do you think they would all be happy? I've always wanted a cockerel and I believe bantams are less aggressive and better with children. Any advice would be welcome.

I added a SLW cockerel to my flock of pullets - all large breed, 12-13 weeks old. I had him in a seperate area for a few days, all within visual (and pecking range through the fence) and then put him in the coop at night when it looked like things were settled out. I know more people like to wait for quarintine but I put him in after 4 days. A few standoffs and some pulled feathers but no injury, also I made sure to add a cabbage and a few new chicken toys to distract everyone. It's been over a month now and it's like he's been here from day 1. Those few days at first seemed to give them all time to figure it out, but I also do not free range my birds. Not sure if that would affect your situation.

We had to get rid of our bantam rooster. His life's mission was to attack my youngest even throwing himself at the wire to try and get her on the other side. I tried all the methods but nothing worked, he was just too vicious to be safe and he'd been hand raised since a chick.

I would visit it first to make sure he shows zero aggression when you go near his girls or pick them up before even thinking about it.

Also research quarantining new birds. Too many people have lost entire flocks from not doing it properly for me to risk adding a new bird without a quarantine period of at least six weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom