Re-Introducing a chicken who was hen pecked!

Helenshens2013

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Irvington, Virginia
How can I re-Introduce a chicken who is obviously at the bottom of the pecking order. I have had her separated now for about a month while she healed. She is laying eggs daily, would it be best just to keep her on her own??

I have the 'no peck' purple stinky stuff which seems to help but only for a while.

Thanks for your help.

In this situation it can be helpful to choose 1 or 2 other birds from the flock who are of a good temperament and introduce them to the single bird in a separate enclosure -- allow these birds to live together for a couple of weeks to bond and build their own subflock. Introduce the newly formed sub-flock following standard integration practices of your choosing - the idea being that instead of introducing a single bird who is an easy target of abuse, you are introducing a group and you are providing the previously pecked bird a level of security in her new bonds.

If she has been housed the whole time next to the flock and they have been able to see each other? Let her out and see what happens? If you had her healing with zero contact with the flock, you will have to introduce her as a new bird...Look no touch pen for a week...You can try putting her with two lower Birds but they might attack her the same as putting her back with the flock?

Not sure how you had them separated to give you any real information...?

Cheers!

She has been visible to the rest of the flock through wire mesh and has a trap door I can open and close to let her in for short periods. She is well healed now and I have that stinky peck no more stuff.

Do you think they will ever accept her or does one have to be at the bottom of the pecking order!

Thanks for your reply.
Helen

She has been visible to the rest of the flock through wire mesh and has a trap door I can open and close to let her in for short periods. She is well healed now and I have that stinky peck no more stuff.

Do you think they will ever accept her or does one have to be at the bottom of the pecking order!

Thanks for your reply.
Helen

She will be accepted for sure, but she will start at the bottom of the pecking order, I would imagine. That may change with time, but being at the bottom of the pecking order does not mean that they will not get along together. In my flock, it can take at least 2 months before a newbie is totally accepted as a flock member, but then things are fine. During that time, having multiple feed stations is particularly important.

Back
Top Bottom