Re-Introduction to the flock?

Oleychickmama

Chirping
13 Years
May 22, 2008
I've separated two of my 10 month old pullets, (a speckled sussex and an ameracauna) due to an overly sexed cochin rooster.

A couple questions, or should I say observations...... It seems since I gave away my other cochin rooster (just 2 days ago) who also was vieing for the girls attentions that my guy in charge isn't nearly as aggressive as he had been with the hens. Is it because he no longer needs to show his dominance since he now is the only guy??

Because of his overly agressiveness, I currently have the bloodied hens in their own "hospital cages". Feeding them plenty of BOSS, scratch, and layer rations. As soon as my special order saddles arive from Moodene I plan on letting them out into the coop with the others.

Question is, I currently have their hospital cages in the main coop which is a 16X14 ft area so there is lots of room with only 10 chickens. Isn't it better to have them in there with the others so that the others can still see and somewhat interact with them then it would be to have them outside the coop where they can't see and hear the others. Shouldn't this be better for them when they are allowed back into the flock?

Sorry this was so long, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom