re-organizing the totem pole

Wow... it is remarkably quiet back there this morning! The hens & Puddy are all so... relaxed!

Not that I dont miss The General and Pete or wasnt sad to see them go or anything, but....
wee.gif

I had to get rid of a very aggressive roo a couple of months ago (complaining neighbors). The whole atmosphere of the flock changed dramatically! I don't have another roo, but it did take awhile for one of the chickens to assume the dominant role. The first time out to free range my chickens also scattered, and I had trouble getting them back in the pen. After a couple of weeks everything settled into a routine with them, and my flock is so much more peaceful and happy now. I do miss my EE roo, but it's nice to go into their run and not get circled and attacked when I turn my back.
big_smile.png

Three days into the new regime and Puddy is DEFINITELY in charge of his flock:

He just lead them over the garage roof to the window of room that I'm sitting in and tapped on the glass for a treat. Oy!

He mated with one of the hens this morning after I let them into the run (I was still at the coop door, with a wall between us- not sure if that counts as being "in my presence" or not)

He got annoyed at me for picking up one of his less-tame girls yesterday (He doesnt care if I pick up the friendlier hens, but she was definitely NOT happy about it and was squawking)

He tries to show me pretty leaves when I let him out in the morning (yes, as endearing as I think it is, I ignore it)

and the thing I'm MOST happy about: He lets the girls eat first! EVEN when there are grapes involved! (he didnt do that before, at least, not where grapes were concerned!)

I'm still watching him for signs of aggression and nipping attempts at power struggles with me as soon as they come up, but so far, he seems to be taking on his role as rooster without any trouble. I dont want to jinx anything, (knocks on the desk) but I think he might turn out alright!

OH! I'd also like to add: 4 of my 5 girls have very red little combs AND I got my first egg yesterday!!!! YEAY! Happy Chickens!!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom