re raising pullets/off season for PROFIT! $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
3k in value in a month is something more easily done than a profit of 3k. A profit of 3k would have to subtract costs. If you are profiting 3k though bartering, someone's getting a short end of a stick.

Been thinking! Now I get it. The OP doesn't claim to have made 3k of greenback money. She has made 3k in money/trade/barter. When measured in value of goods, it's easy to come up with the 3k figure.
As for example she bartered for 700 egg cartons now if she values those egg cartons at 50 bucks and then values her trade goods as 25 then --- presto chango 25 bucks profit. Do that for each item well ya'll get the drift. Didn't them fellahs at Enron do thatV

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe it's because us country folk have more sense on what to pay for a chicken!
smile.png

here in colorado people in the large cities are buying chickens like crazzy becauase there cities passed laws alowing them to own chickens in city limits! now its buy buy buy some are going for 25 -30 a piece regardless of breed. they just want unuiqe pets. this past spring alot of feed stores were constantly running out of chicks.

Yep 25-30 is what a started pullet can go for. Seen 12 week old birds go for that! Regular ol sexlinks even. I feel like I am stealing when I sell birds for more than like 20, but that's still lower than a lot of others sell for. Seattle says 3 hens so for a pet, I guess 25 isn't that much to pay, when you're living in a 400k-800k house on a 60 x 100 lot in the suburbs.

I've often wondered why folks raise chickens if they "barely break even" or even go in the hole? I enjoy raising chickens also but I wouldn't if I were not making a profit along the way. Why can't one have the best of both worlds? Not that I'm making anything near $3000........
roll.png
tongue.png
lol.png

Also with farming. There are some farmers who are making a grand profit and some who say they have never made a profit and claim it can't be done, when, in fact, it is being done all around them. Wonder why that is?
hu.gif

Since I already have a decent set-up I could see buying some extra chicks for $1 and selling pullets in the spring. I free range a lot and my feed bill is minimal...but I just don't see a steady income that way. The demand isn't THAT big here.

Besides, I don't think I could talk DH into it! We already have at least 4 extra cockerels and with every batch of chicks we get even more. lol

I think a good portion of members here raise them for fun or a hobby more than anything else. If you count your hours spent, even at the $9 min wage, to maintain them... it's even harder to break even. The community here is bias toward the backyard raiser so it would be harder to get an even view of the people who do make a living on such occupations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom