re raising pullets/off season for PROFIT! $$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately no such market for chickens/eggs exist in my area. I might be able to sell the odd dozen eggs now and then. Maybe even have a FEW steady buyers. But no way would it be anything to grow a business on.
Live chickens? At the feed store I see day old pullets grow into started pullets then into 4 month olds. While still in the brooder and the price stays at the $1.50 for sr and $2 for pullets. My strategy is to pay day old prices for what I want. Got to be patient, take a gamble on no one else buying what I got my eye on. Lost out on a cage full of BR sr 16 weeks by one day. Went in on a Tuesday to get them, some one bought every last one on Monday. I was going to offer them $30 for the whole cage full.
Point is--- if a busy feed store with that much traffic can't sell out of started pullets in a timely manner. What chance do I have? And get $15 each for them, not gonna happen here.
Maybe I am speaking out of turn and my wish is not to bust any bubbles. Either the OP has managed to corner a niche market in her area or she has some high dreams that can come crashing down. $3000 I know I couldn't make that on chickens in my life time.

hmm I dont know that I would have any trouble selling pullets here in Colorado. I just sold a few last week for 12 each and they were right at POL. I have never figured out how much it cost me to get those pullets to 6 months of age , cause I really dont want to know LOL. It must take at least 35 lbs of feed plus the price of the chicks plus coop etc etc. 35 lbs of feed here is about ten dollars I am thinking. Yikes there it is 10 for the feed 2 for the chick.
See that is why I did not want to know.

In my case the chicks were about 8 bucks each, I had a bad hatch from shipped eggs, long story!!!!!

There is a once a month HUGE animal market here. I can sell any chicken that I can hatch out.

It's about $6 for the 2 month olds. $10 for the 6 month olds.

I hatch out a ton of chicks and keep them for a few months then sell.

I do get more money that their feed costs. So I am making a profit.

But if you factor in the thousands of dollars I spent on coops, and fencing, and medicines, and waters, and stuff. Well then. It will be a long time before I actually make money.

I plan to go a lot bigger next spring and get 50 pullet chicks at a time. For a dollar or two. Then resell later on.

I will keep good accounts, and see if there is actually any money to be made in chickens. But if any I'm sure it's not too much.

Now goats on the other hand... Thats a money making business.

Quote:
I had good luck with goats last year. I've switched to pygmies, not so much. We are close enough to Florida that meat goats bring a pretty price at the auction. Buyers snatch them up and haul them a few hours to south Florida. I'm selling out of the tiny pygmy herd (only four) and going back to a Spanish-type goat. Not a Boer fan, though.

I'm raising Kinder Goats. They are a 5th generation cross of Pygmy and Nubian. They are a dairy/meat dual purpose goat. Cute and little, with big udder. They are pretty new, and really rare registered. I've driven 9 hours to pick up mine each time. Lots of cultures around here love goat meat, and milk. Soap is great. And lots of people are interested in starting their own flock of kinders.

My does have 2-5 babies each time. Sell them for $200 bucks each and you got $400-$1000 each year out of each goat.
smile.png

They eat pasture, don't need much medicine, and are super easy to care for.

I love goats.

I agree. I've seen the kinders in the past. They are so cute!!! We had Nubians and several other dairy breeds last year. Love my goats. I've loved having the chickens this year.

I live in an area with many "hobbyists" raising birds. The Hobbyist sells excess eggs only with the expectation of covering some of the costs that have gone into their birds, not all of them, and certainly not a price that would cover their labor or make a profit.

In such an environment, it is not possible to make a profit on eggs.

Broilers might be a possible profit-maker, if we were willing to process them ourselves. We are starting to look into raising chicks to point of lay. Some of the local municipalities may allow the keeping of small flocks of hens, and we'd be happy to supply those birds.

But a profit of $3000 in bartered goods, services and cash is not possible in my area. No major cities - No major markets. People cannot GIVE chickens away on craigslist in this vicinity.

What is the price of feed in your area? 50# bag is about $10-$12 here.

Wow! What an interesting thread! I learned a lot!

KinderKorner, you have a very pretty goat there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom