READY FOR BIG DAY! Can I use pine pellets in my nesting box?

saikkia

In the Brooder
May 2, 2017
My hens are finally about to lay. The Australorp has bright red comb and waddle and has grown in size in the past week. Therefore I need to prepare my nesting box for the big day. I have some pine pellets left over that I used as bedding materials for my brooder, I was wondering whether I can use the same pine pellets for the nesting box as well.
I have read pine shavings or straws as the common materials, but just wanted to see if i can use these existing pine pellets instead of going to buy new pine shavings for my hens.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I wouldn't! To start with they are hard---might get eggs poked/busted. Then they smell like pine-----and I would not want my eggs smelling like pine so "I" would not use either of those. I been using soft hay/Bermuda for over 50 years and it works good. But, thats your call!

Place some hay/straw in the boxes. Not too much and not too less.

Good luck!!

The first few eggs may look weird but its normal, they are just learning to lay, okay.

can use these existing pine pellets
I would try it in one or two boxes to see how it performs you have nothing much to loose and it should not harm the girls any.

I tried something new in my coop. For years I have been
lining my nest boxes with the folded empty nylon mesh feed bags. When a bag gets soiled pop out the soiled and pop in another. Poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off when left out in the sun to bake and dry. It is the best method I have stumbled upon in my 67 trips around the sun. Oh remove the excess string from the open end of the bag it can get tangled in your birds legs and wings. Easy Peasy Japaneasy.

This year I took even a step further I place an elevated false wire floor with no bedding over the main floor works as a drop pit for the poop. It keeps my nest boxes and bird's feet much cleaner. I may revert back to pine shaving during the Canadian winters time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom