Ready Set Hatch! Set 3/17 Hatch 4/7 - ready now! Hatch-Along

UPDATE: ok just candled the yesterday tossed 2 so now I have 4 D'uccle eggs and 15 game eggs left! Hopefully the rest of my D'uccle eggs will hatch. Ugh.

I know that feeling - I only have one silkie out of four developing. It's for my DD so I sure hope it hatches (and it's a female!). I hope your d'uccles all make it.

So tell me guys.. if you really only want to hatch certain eggs, do you still pack extra eggs in there ? I heard its better to incubate more eggs than just a few. I only had 9 cochin eggs, but I still put some extra polish eggs in with them.

Depends on how you look at it. 9 is a good number but the likelihood of all 9 hatching is slim, so add a few... then if you want egg layers you'll want to set at least twice as many as you want because 50% will be males... chicken math. There's a hilarious chicken math thread on here with how members got taken in by the chicken math. Seriously though, if you fill the empty spaces with closed water bottles or jars or rocks - anything that'll hold heat, you'll end up with the same affect as a "full" incubator.

Okay, just candled and so far here's what we know. Of the 6 wheaten marans, one had a blood ring -gone, three might be fertile -hard to see, and two are moving. Of the 7 coronation sussex eggs, one had a blood ring -gone, two were not fertile, three probably fertile -hard to see, one is moving. Of my own six barnyard mixes, 100% ALIVE. Thank-you-thank-you. *bows* My flock's eggs are the constant by which I judge all purchased eggs.

So out of 19 eggs I have 15 that will move on to the next candling, like one of those elimination shows.

Last edited:
Okay, just candled and so far here's what we know.  Of the 6 wheaten marans, one had a blood ring -gone, three might be fertile -hard to see, and two are moving.  Of the 7 coronation sussex eggs, one had a blood ring -gone, two were not fertile, three probably fertile -hard to see, one is moving.  Of my own six barnyard mixes, 100% ALIVE.   Thank-you-thank-you.  *bows*  My flock's eggs are the constant by which I judge all purchased eggs. 

So out of 19 eggs I have 15 that will move on to the next candling, like one of those elimination shows.

Whoohoo! Let's hear it for the homegrown barnyard mixes! :D.

Im down to like 7 or 8 Cochin eggs after candling .. I hope most of them hatch.. my one Cochin is lonely and Im trying to hatch her some friends.. she just wanders around by herself all the time... Kind of pitiful

Not much to report, temp has dropped here and brought the ambient down from my testing. This has brought our humidity down a touch to 49%, but we think that is reasonable given we have spent a bit of time in the upper end of the acceptable range.

I really wish we had known about weight tracking the eggs before this set, I would feel much more comfortable about knowing the evaporation progress.

in other news, our vaccination shots for MD are due either today or tomorrow, so pending how that arrives (condition wise) we should be set for the hatch. Already had four batches lines up for sale so that has softened the financial blow of protecting our flock.

Back
Top Bottom