Real temp lows hitting -18.

21hens-incharge

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
I know, I know. Ducks are tough BUT this is insanely cold.

The group is 7 welsh harlequin ducks just under a year old.
The coldest will be tonight so added heat would be for just today, tonight and shut off tomorrow by noon.
The coop is a 5x8 walk in structure.

I have sealed oil space heaters and can secure one so they cannot touch it IF I end up caving and putting one in there.

Yesterday I noted 2 females limping a bit. The feet look ok so :fl that they don't end up showing damage in the coming week.

Your thoughts on these insane temps would be appreciated.

It's crazy I am even thinking of adding heat since I am always saying not to. :hmm

Last edited:
My ducks (appleyard, runners, magpie and calls) have handled the past week and a half, 2 weeks of really cold temps (-40 to -47 C with and without windchill some days) well; the biggest thing for them was access to thawed water, and bedding to sink their feet into and keep them off the cold ground. The wind was extreme here a couple of days and they spent the entire time in their house. No shivering, no frostbite. I feel straw is a better insulating bedding than shavings in these kinds of temps.
I don’t supplement heat for my ducks unless I have babies in there, no matter the temps. The chickens are a different story, they’re just not as hardy. The biggest problem we’ve had around here is that we had ridiculously warm temps all through fall up till now, so none of the birds acclimated very well to the sudden dip in temp. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Dry, deep bedding is probably going to be more useful than adding supplemental heat, but really, if your ducks look miserably cold, and you’re not adding enough to make the temp difference extreme, go for it, so long as it’s done safely. I like heating pads for the ducks, when I do use heat/have babies out there. They snuggle on top of it together. Lol.

I’ve heard people say that they have them down to -30F I don’t know if it’s true but for bedding definitely add a lot of straw. It doesn’t have to be everywhere but if you know what part they sleep in more often, add a bunch of straw. Around 6 inches deep. I haven’t had any negatives here but my ducks are shaking. Wish you luck!

My ducks (appleyard, runners, magpie and calls) have handled the past week and a half, 2 weeks of really cold temps (-40 to -47 C with and without windchill some days) well; the biggest thing for them was access to thawed water, and bedding to sink their feet into and keep them off the cold ground. The wind was extreme here a couple of days and they spent the entire time in their house. No shivering, no frostbite. I feel straw is a better insulating bedding than shavings in these kinds of temps.
I don’t supplement heat for my ducks unless I have babies in there, no matter the temps. The chickens are a different story, they’re just not as hardy. The biggest problem we’ve had around here is that we had ridiculously warm temps all through fall up till now, so none of the birds acclimated very well to the sudden dip in temp. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Dry, deep bedding is probably going to be more useful than adding supplemental heat, but really, if your ducks look miserably cold, and you’re not adding enough to make the temp difference extreme, go for it, so long as it’s done safely. I like heating pads for the ducks, when I do use heat/have babies out there. They snuggle on top of it together. Lol.

Those are awful low temps!

I do have 6-8" of large flake pine shavings in the coop. So far no one has acted off by shivering or anything screaming emergency.

I see you are way up in Canada. Definitely more used to keeping birds in extreme temps than I am.

I appreciate the input.

I need to remind myself that at 15° they all layed down in the shaded part of the run to nap. That seemed crazy to me lol.

I’ve heard people say that they have them down to -30F I don’t know if it’s true but for bedding definitely add a lot of straw. It doesn’t have to be everywhere but if you know what part they sleep in more often, add a bunch of straw. Around 6 inches deep. I haven’t had any negatives here but my ducks are shaking. Wish you luck!

I can pick up a bale of straw at the feed store today. If my truck will start that is.

Not a bad idea to add some on top of the shavings I already have in there.

I will observe them throughout the day for any signs that they need help.
Must resist adding heat. They are healthy, in good feather and far better equipped than me.

As long as they're inside a shelter they should be okay. We had as low as -24F this week and our ducks do fine with that. I don't let them outside until it's -5 and at 5 above they get their pool. I can usually let them out by 9 o'clock but if not I'll put a water jug and food in their coop. We had 7 above this morning, I let them out at 645 and watch the morning bath ritual begin as their pool fills up. This is right outside the cellar door so it's easy to fill a pool, dump it, bang out the ice and bring it in at night. I don't think too many people do the pool like I do but our ducks love it and are in beautiful condition. I do keep an area of pine chips on the ground outside their coop during cold weather.

It's crazy I am less worried about the chickens in this weather. The 3 elderly bantam cochins are scratching around in their run right now. Almost all of the other chickens are milling around.

The run has around 3" of large flake pine shavings across the whole thing.

It really does depend on how extreme a particular temperature is for your area. :)

We’d been spoiled up til now and what is usually a normal temp here right now, feels really cold this year. Animals that normally would have a super thick coat don’t. It’s been tricky.

I would say adjust based on their behaviour. If they’re comfortable hanging out in their house and coming out as needed, great. If they’re huddled in a shivering pile in the corner, well, maybe they need a little extra something, whether that’s additional bedding, some high fat treats, or a bit of heat.

It really does depend on how extreme a particular temperature is for your area. :)

We’d been spoiled up til now and what is usually a normal temp here right now, feels really cold this year. Animals that normally would have a super thick coat don’t. It’s been tricky.

I would say adjust based on their behaviour. If they’re comfortable hanging out in their house and coming out as needed, great. If they’re huddled in a shivering pile in the corner, well, maybe they need a little extra something, whether that’s additional bedding, some high fat treats, or a bit of heat.

We have been spoiled by a very mild winter so far too.

I will keep observing them. If I do end up doing some heat it will be just a warming spot not trying to make the structure tropical at all.

I don't think my chickens will need anything extra.....the ducks though....dunking that head made iced head feathers yesterday. It looked miserable to me.

Back
Top Bottom