Realistic ideas

Sricher91

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
I need realistic ideas on what it’s going to cost to build a decent coop and run. We currently have 8 chickens who are in a tractor supply coop (box said fits 12-14 chickens but I think it barely fits our 8). My girls free range for the good portion of the spring/summer/fall. But stay locked up for most of the winter due to predators in full force. So I do want a good size run for when they are locked up.

We are also looking to add another 12-15 chickens in the spring. So big enough to fit 20-25 chickens total.

What am I looking at price wise? My Hubbie is very handy, but I want to give him a realistic price point.

Edited to get my response out of the quote!:

It depends on how fancy or elaborate you want to go. And how big.
Do you want to have a coop big enough just for those 25 chickens or do you want room for chicken math? For the 25, the coop would be at least 8x12 with at least a 250 sq ft run.
Covered run or no?
What material are you building with?
Are you starting with a pre-existing structure?
I can tell you that I am renovating an old shed on my property this spring. I will be putting about $1,200 into the renovation to get it where I want it for about 20-24 chickens. It will include an attached 12x24 covered run enclosed in 1/2" HC with a full predator apron. I will be using a lot of the materials from my existing run so the price I gave is just for all the additional supplies I will need.

Last edited:
No I don’t have an existing structure but I do have a fenced in yard so we might use that fencing for our run. I definitely want the run covered (our one predator loss was due to a hawk). I do have access to lots of free pallets though! Unfortunately for me there won’t be any chicken math :( we’ve had the same 8 chickens for a year and after I add the new ones hubby won’t go for anything else. He doesn’t even want anymore than what we have, that was already a fight.

Have you looked at any of the member-built coops in the Coop Articles section? Some of those were very inexpensive, a lot of it depends on how creative the builder is. Pallets are useful, leftovers from construction sites (ask permission before taking), materials on CraigsList or Habitat for Humanity stores, old children's playforts or swing sets...just takes some time to look around and examine all the possibilities.
chicken-coops.12

Something else to consider... you are hovering around the size where the town building department might have something to say about your structure. It may or may not need a permit. There might be specifications regarding setbacks. There may be requirements regarding the foundation. This is something that can impact your design and your price. It's better to know this before starting construction because the try to become compliant retroactively could be challenging and more expensive.

I’m in Rhode Island,
Here how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-7_19-10-1.png

Something else to consider... you are hovering around the size where the town building department might have something to say about your structure. It may or may not need a permit. There might be specifications regarding setbacks. There may be requirements regarding the foundation. This is something that can impact your design and your price. It's better to know this before starting construction because the try to become compliant retroactively could be challenging and more expensive.
Our small rural town requires building permit for anything of 100 sq ft or larger. I asked.

Back
Top Bottom