REALLY Disappointed w/ Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by PolloAdoro, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Today a lovely box of day old chicks arrived from McMurray Hatchery. I was REALLY dissapointed to see 4 of the 26 with sprawled legs and or curled toes, I spent a good amount of time applying bandaids. I had them settled into their new home for a couple hours, left to pick up my daughter from school, and came home to 1 dead chick [​IMG] (no idea why-wasn't even close to the water bowl) and now another one seems to not be eating or drinking, and laying in the corner like it wants to die. This is so heartbreaking! I have dipped it's beak in the water bowl (that has that chick gel stuff and electrolites/some sugar) but it's pathetic. All the others are eating drinking great. This was my first experience purchasing from a hatchery and I am just sad....I think I will stick to craigslist. What else can I do for this little chick? TIA

2. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    So sorry, it sounds like they may have had a tough trip in the mail. Good that you're giving them electrolytes to help them along. I don't have any suggestions for you, just wanted to empathise with you.

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Mix chick starter crumbles and warm water, and gently wipe little bits of it on the chick's beak so it will eat the food. The important thing is to keep it hydrated and warm. I had a Faverolles chick like that - got it from the hatchery with 25 other chicks. It was the only one that didn't drink or eat on it's own even though I dipped its beak in water and showed it where the food was. I think I did the hand feeding on the beak about 3 or 4 times the first day or two. It soon got the idea and was taking the food willingly. I hand fed it with blunt tweezers twice a day for about a week just to make sure it was getting enough. After a few days it was running around.

Edited to make more sense.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    my order from mcmurry i got on the 27th of oct and ,1 was DOA one died a few hours later then one thought another ones umbilical cord was food and ended up killing that chick

so 3 out of 26 isnt bad there all a tad over 3 weeks old ad besides running from me every time i walk in the brooder room, there healthy and happy

but it happens with hatcherys esp with st run as there born they dry there put in a box and sent to your post office some times theirs just some less that healthy ones that make it to you

good news if ya report it to mcmurry within 48 hours of gettin the chicks then they will refund you for your loss

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am so sorry. [​IMG] I was thinking about ordering from Mcmurray this spring, but I have heard of a lot of experiences like yours. [​IMG]

6. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    I got 12 out of 12 Barred Rock and Mille Fleur D'Uccles from Ideal today. They all made it, and all were very hungry and thirsty! Must be hard for the little boogers to go two days without food and water. At least it's not summer here in south or that might have been too much for them. I'm happy with what I got. Hours later they're still eating and drinking.
    Yes, very heart-breaking to see little ones die. Try what the person said about giving mush since it worked for them. I made a mistake once and flipped over a chick that was doing poorly and gave it water via a dropper. I think it went right to the lungs since it died within a couple of hours.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I think it is the same in most hatcheries as the stress of being shipped is very hard on the little chicks.
    Of the 27 I received from Privett only 14 survived. They are now 5 weeks old and doing very well.

8. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Quote:Just tried this and the chick has perked up a bit. Poor thing was getting trampled in the brooder by the others even though there is ample space for twice as many. It's literally 1/2 the size of everyone else. So I moved the little guy to a small brooder I just made out of an old 10 gallon fish tank, till it can hold it's own with the others. I put the brooder next to my indoor SG silkie's house who is now very interested in her next door neighbor. Thank you~ I'm feeling very hopeful. Tonight I'm setting 2 dozen eggs in the incubator, and in 3 weeks it's going to be chick mania!! To be honest~ I expected a casualty or 2, I'm actually more upset about their poor curled feet and sprawled legs (4 of them).
    Thanks to everyone for the quick and great responses here. This is a fantastic forum!

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    We recently got 28 chicks from Ideal. None with leg or toe problems, but three didn't make it within the first three days. I second the thought that shipping must be hard on them. I think that's pretty typical for a hatchery.

10. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I really do feel bad for you, and it is very sad that one died, but it isn't the hatchery's fault. The shipping is very tough on them, and sometimes the weaker chicks can't survive that. The one in the corner is laying there is because of the stress. Make sure they are all warm and the others don't start doing it too. They might get trampled. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by