Really nasty ear infection in a silkie hen ~GRAPHIC pics~

I'm sorry to hear she passed away. Mine is still laying eggs every day....she will just stand there and growl for no reason. Her ear is looking better, still a little crusty and she isn't being aggressive or broody....her appetite is good and she is active.

She usually follows her sister around side by side all day every day and the only times I do not find her by her sister's side is when she is growling.....I just wonder if she loses sight of her sister, her sister moves away and she gets upset and starts growling? lol. Strange little creatures

I'm not sure what this is but I think this could be an ear infection can you please help me with this? I'm desperate to save my little chicken!!

I'm not sure what this is but I think this could be an ear infection can you please help me with this? I'm desperate to save my little chicken!!

Can you post another picture? not sure what I'm looking at. But if it is her ear, then follow all the steps on this site. I was able to help my chicken by following the instructions. Good luck.

Can you post another picture? not sure what I'm looking at. But if it is her ear, then follow all the steps on this site. I was able to help my chicken by following the instructions. Good luck.

I can't at the moment because I'm away for the weekend but when I get home I'll take some more photos of her ear and post them for you :)

My husband and I adopted a 2 hens and 2 roosters. Within the first week we discovered they all had some kind of illness. The two roosters have mites and lice. And one rooster had a rather advanced ear infection. We're first time chicken owners and were very uncertain about doing anything 'surgical'. But today, after gathering all that was needed, we took out the horrible stuff in his ear. He's been isolated in a warmer room and hope that here he will make a full recovery soon. The gunk is about 1.5 cm. It felt epic to remove it. He was very calm and only made a little noise during the whole ordeal.
Thanks so much for this thread. We read about your experience and also from others threads on BYC regarding ear infection. Your pictures were gruesome but it gave us some expectations of what to expect.

My husband and I adopted a 2 hens and 2 roosters. Within the first week we discovered they all had some kind of illness. The two roosters have mites and lice. And one rooster had a rather advanced ear infection. We're first time chicken owners and were very uncertain about doing anything 'surgical'. But today, after gathering all that was needed, we took out the horrible stuff in his ear. He's been isolated in a warmer room and hope that here he will make a full recovery soon. The gunk is about 1.5 cm. It felt epic to remove it. He was very calm and only made a little noise during the whole ordeal. Thanks so much for this thread. We read about your experience and also from others threads on BYC regarding ear infection. Your pictures were gruesome but it gave us some expectations of what to expect.
How are they now? I had a cockerel who ended up with a raging ear infection! I couldn't find the right meds in town. So I went with amoxicillin started with big dose! Then went back to get more from the feed store. None of us new if it would work. Even peeps at the feed store. We ended up 7 days of meds. Day 3 I was able to just pull it out on its own almost. He knew we were helping so he was a good boy. We also stuffed his ear full for about 9 days with neospirin. He's perfect now! The pills were 32 cents. Just FYI pretty cheap ! Here's what came out of olive

Last edited:
How are they now? I had a cockerel who ended up with a raging ear infection! I couldn't find the right mess in town. So I went with amoxicillin started with big dose! Then went back to get more from the feed store. None of us new if it would work. Even peeps at the feed store. We ended up 7 days of mess. Day 3 I was able to just pull it out on its own almost. He knew we were helping so he was a good boy. We also stuffed his ear full for about 9 days with neospirin. He's perfect now! The pills were 32 cents. Just FYI pretty cheap ! Here's what came out of olive
ontent/type/61/id/7216081/width/200/height/400[/IMG]this was before we pulled the yuky infection out.
this was after. His ear was still pretty open. After a couple days it closed . Me he's free ranging not aware he's a cockerel getting beat up by the hens. He's super sweet to! He's the first cockerel that will let us hold him. Eats out of our hand ect... I did hatch him so he's been spoiled. Good luck to you! And your flock! Glad you got infection out!

Last edited:
My rooster's ears is healing and the swelling going down. But I have noticed he loose balance sometimes when he shakes his head. I think it maybe related to the removal of the puss infection. Has anyone chicken experienced this? And what should I do?

The other day I noticed this ugly, nasty "plug" in my Silkie's ear. Ewww. Poor baby. She must have had an ear infection going on for a long time. She is getting better now. But this is what it looked like:

So I carefully pulled this thing off/out. It left a gaping hole in her ear. I flushed & cleaned it out as best I could.

This is what the plug looks like

I clean it out every night with a warm peroxide/water solution, then pack the hole with neosporin. I put 100mg of Amoxicilling in her drinking water, along with vitamins. She is perking up well. This is what it looks like now

And this is her feeling better.
Great pictures!

-Kathy

My husband and I adopted a 2 hens and 2 roosters. Within the first week we discovered they all had some kind of illness. The two roosters have mites and lice. And one rooster had a rather advanced ear infection. We're first time chicken owners and were very uncertain about doing anything 'surgical'. But today, after gathering all that was needed, we took out the horrible stuff in his ear. He's been isolated in a warmer room and hope that here he will make a full recovery soon. The gunk is about 1.5 cm. It felt epic to remove it. He was very calm and only made a little noise during the whole ordeal.
Thanks so much for this thread. We read about your experience and also from others threads on BYC regarding ear infection. Your pictures were gruesome but it gave us some expectations of what to expect.
More excellent pictures!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom