Really really fed up :(

Hi
Place your incubator in the most stable environment which sounds like your bedroom. Mine are in a room which is about 18-19C and environment humidity of 50%. I would still lower your temperature to 37.5C in a forced air machine and double check with 2 reliable thermometers
wink.png
As your on the high side at 38C there is no margin for error!

Pete

One of my eggs is pipping!!!!!!!!! Arrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I'm sooo excited! It's rocking round in the incubator!!!!!
smile.png

The airsac still looks too small to me, do I just sit and wait now????

Quote:
Yes...it can take up to 36 hours, and there's nothing good that comes from helping, so sit on your hands!!

If you can't stand not getting involved, LEAVE!!

Trust someone who's been there a lot.

Ok I will leave lid on and just hope for the best, thanks for the advice! It's bed time now anyway (although I don't think I'll be able to sleep!) Do I need to up the humidity now? It isn't day 28 until thursday! It's abotu 26 at the moment.

Still nothing
sad.png

Egg is rocking and has been for nearly 36 hours! How much longer???? I don't have any fingernails left to chew off!
smile.png

I find that eggs will rock a few days prior to hatching, but it's not necessarily indicative of internal pipping. 36 hours would tell me that it was probably rocking first to get into position and may have pipped or is still moving around and positioning itself. Patience... At this point there's nothing you can do that wouldn't very likely be destructive. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks adrian. It did internally pip nearly 36 hrs ago, as I could hear it! Or can you hear it before it pips internally? The egg has Ellie written in pencil on one side (my daughters friend popped them in) and that has stayed Ellie side up since the pipping began. I will just leave it be though, just not sure how long is too long? ie is it struggling?
Thanks
x

Oh, I didn't know you'd heard peeping! Well, every egg is different, but here's what I find usually happens with duck and goose eggs: They internally pip and remain in the air cell, resting and breathing and getting stronger and louder and moving more, for up to 24 hours. Then, they first external pip is made, and they rest more, sometimes for up to 24 hours as well. Then, they begin to cut out and this can be very fast. I'd suspect you'd have an external pip by now, but I'd give it more time. About 48 hours at least. Are you sure there is no external pip? Sometimes they pip on the side of the egg not visible to you or it is very slight.

Just wondering... Am I right in thinking you are hatching duck eggs?

Last edited:
Hi, yes duck eggs, well one lonely duck egg now. The airsac was very small so I was advised to make a tiny safety airhole at the very top of the egg, after 18 hrs of internal pipping, which i've done, but no external pip, I've upped the humidity to 70% now. I only noticed the pipping at 10pm the night before last, it could well have been doing it for a few hrs before that.
Now I'm confused though, is peeping and pipping the same? I can hear a tapping noise which is the duckling breathing, it's a noisy incubator as it has a fan, so unless I take the lid off I can hear anything anyway.

Back
Top Bottom