Really sad day at the Appleton Farm ( my urban place)

foxappleton

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 13, 2012
La Vergne, TN
Tuesday while I was in Florida for a medical appointment my 5 year old called me bawling because our Red leghorn had attacked her and her Light Bhrama baby and Killed the pullet ( has been with this flock since middle of summer and I got her at 9 wks old) and I went outside earlier to check on the crew and witnessed the same red leghorn attacking my Silkie Bantum who was the same age as the Bhrama. I have been bawling. I have a friend that breeds silkies south of me and is willing to take the nasty hen in trade for money off some silkies. But I just can't believe this. The Red Leghorn had started attacking me before I left for Florida. While there the same hen has attacked my daughter and a friends husband who came to help them while I was gone.

Does anyone know what would cause a hen to just snap on others in the same flock and people?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles
hugs.gif
Chickens have personalities, like humans, and some of them are just plain nasty. I had a roo once that I reared myself. He was the sweetest thing! A total lap chicken and he'd follow me around everywhere. We adored each other. Then one day he lost the plot and started attacking me. I actually got scars on my arm from him biting me. Not pecking, biting! Taking the skin off my arm. Needless to say he outstayed his welcome. With a chicken like that it's better to find it a good home or send it to the freezer.

Top Bottom