Really Small Egg

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
I have 2 barred rocks who are now 5 months old. I know at least one of them is laying because we have found a couple of eggs. The eggs are always laid in the same nest box too. The hen stays in there for a while, then the egg comes and she leaves. Today, after I checked to see if she was out of the nest box, I found the egg. It is really small. The other 3 eggs were, what I consider small, but this one is tiny. Will the eggs get bigger over time? The hen is a good sized hen too. Not sure why the eggs are so small.
(My parrot used to lay eggs and they were small, compared to chicken eggs. The egg I found today was not much bigger than a parrot egg).

Yes, small eggs are common when hens first start laying. You may also see soft shell and no-shell yolks laid. I've been going through this with my flock that is just starting to lay and it's amazing how varied the sizes are. By the way, the small eggs are just as good eating as the larger ones! I've figured out after reassurance by experienced chicken keepers here on BYC that it's all normal for new laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom