Really Strange Egg, What is this? (with photos)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by montana girl, Nov 14, 2009.

1. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    This morning I went out to collect the eggs, and found one egg that had a dark soft area at the top, and there looked to be blood coming out of it. Upon cracking the egg, I found inside a yolk and white that seemed to be normal, but also a red bloody looking ball about the size of a cherry pit, perfectly round near the end where the egg shell had the soft area on it. The egg was freshly laid.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to what this is and if i should worry? The dark stuff is coffee grounds because I first threw the egg away without seeing what was actually going on. I took the second photo next to an average size egg so that you could judge the size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    is this a new laying hen? could be she has to get the kinks out of her system. also if there is a foreign material it could have gotten into her egg tract and just got surrounded by the shell and let out...kinda like a oyster..only its a chicken pearl! i would keep an eye on her eggs for a little while to see if there is any more abnormalities just to make sure nothing else is wrong

3. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    did you cut the ball open? see if you can see what is inside it. may help to know what it is

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've seen a lot of strange stuff, but this takes the cake. i have nooooooooo idea. Hopefully some more experienced chicken folk will chime in. i'll be looking to see what they have to say.
    [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ewwww, looks like it has veins. [​IMG]

6. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Speckledhen was answering someone's question about their chicken's liver and she posted this link. Picture E, the ovarian lesion, has lumpies in it that look like what you found.

I don't mean to say your chicken is diseased because I don't know anything about chickens. I can't tell what in that pic is normal and what is the lesion. It sure would be nice if someone here was able to explain...

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope she didn't lay one of her ovaries.

That's would gross me out.

I see something new here everyday.

Now I've seen it all.

Poke my eyes out.

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    That's a new one... No clue, but I am considering not eating any eggs for a while! [​IMG]

9. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

is she doin ok today??

10. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    It looks to me like.. tomorrows egg yolk come out in today's egg,, or attached to it somehow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by