Really Stupid Question

Tdub4chiks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Constantia, NY
Why do people raise ducks. They don't lay eggs everyday like a chicken - do they? Is it just because they are beautiful? Do they raise them for meat?

Just a dumb question, but I'm curious...lol

PS. What about Turkey's. Just for meat?

Quote:
Yes they do...some breeds lay more prolifically then any breed of chicken, not to mention their HUGE eggs.

Plus they are insanely fun to be around and earn their keep by being entertaining

Honestly, mine are just because I like them. They are funny and quite affectionate when you have them from an early age. My husband is allergic to cats and dogs, so ducks are perfect for us.

My Cayuga duck pair is adorable. They're funny and friendly and yes, she lays an egg almost every day. BIG one. The Cayuga is also a "meat" bird, but I have no intention of eating either one of them. They're just a hoot to have as pets! (The eggs are a nice bonus... and ducks, like chickens, eat bugs and slugs and snails.)

We have ducks for eggs, meat and pets. The duck eggs are used for baking and the chicken eggs will be used for everything else. Plus they are easier on the garden than our chickens and they love to fertilize your lawn (they poop all the time!).

Our ducks are hysterical....I opened the back door the other day and the pair of them (Mallards: Larry & Sherry) , were standing inches away from the door looking like they were ready to knock....Sherry gave out a loud "Quack" and the two of them just turned and walked away....not really funny when you type it out....but it made me roar with laughter...
love.gif
...they're GREAT!

Back
Top Bottom