1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Really Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tdub4chiks, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Why do people raise ducks. They don't lay eggs everyday like a chicken - do they? Is it just because they are beautiful? Do they raise them for meat?

Just a dumb question, but I'm curious...lol

PS. What about Turkey's. Just for meat?

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Yes they do...some breeds lay more prolifically then any breed of chicken, not to mention their HUGE eggs.

Plus they are insanely fun to be around and earn their keep by being entertaining

3. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    Honestly, mine are just because I like them. They are funny and quite affectionate when you have them from an early age. My husband is allergic to cats and dogs, so ducks are perfect for us.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga duck pair is adorable. They're funny and friendly and yes, she lays an egg almost every day. BIG one. The Cayuga is also a "meat" bird, but I have no intention of eating either one of them. They're just a hoot to have as pets! (The eggs are a nice bonus... and ducks, like chickens, eat bugs and slugs and snails.)

5. Never had ducks but:
    They do lay as many eggs as chickens... Some of them.
    They're nice
    Cute
    Lovable
    etc...

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
  7. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We have ducks for eggs, meat and pets. The duck eggs are used for baking and the chicken eggs will be used for everything else. Plus they are easier on the garden than our chickens and they love to fertilize your lawn (they poop all the time!).

8. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    Our ducks are hysterical....I opened the back door the other day and the pair of them (Mallards: Larry & Sherry) , were standing inches away from the door looking like they were ready to knock....Sherry gave out a loud "Quack" and the two of them just turned and walked away....not really funny when you type it out....but it made me roar with laughter...[​IMG]...they're GREAT!

9. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    The only stupid question is a question not asked! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by