Really Stupid Question

I don't have any ducks, but have always herd if you have a pond and ducks you won't have water snakes. Don't know if it is truth or an old wives tale.
idunno.gif

Quote:
As I said before, I had no idea that ducks laid eggs more than once a year. I thought it was seasonal.

For some breeds it is "seasonal". I've got a pair of bantam Australian Spotted. They are 1.5 years old and I've had them for a year. The hen laid about 80-85 eggs between March and July which is a shorter season than many other duck breeds like the runners and Welsh Harlequins. I'll chart her egg count again next year out of curiosity. I understood that this bantam breed was "the best" egg layer of the bantam breeds but 85 eggs over 5 months seems low for "the best" but since I haven't researched all the other bantam breeds it's kinda a mute point right now
tongue.png
. Anyhoo, I'll find out next year if that's a common number for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
As I said before, I had no idea that ducks laid eggs more than once a year. I thought it was seasonal.

For some breeds it is "seasonal". I've got a pair of bantam Australian Spotted. They are 1.5 years old and I've had them for a year. The hen laid about 80-85 eggs between March and July which is a shorter season than many other duck breeds like the runners and Welsh Harlequins. I'll chart her egg count again next year out of curiosity. I understood that this bantam breed was "the best" egg layer of the bantam breeds but 85 eggs over 5 months seems low for "the best" but since I haven't researched all the other bantam breeds it's kinda a mute point right now
tongue.png
. Anyhoo, I'll find out next year if that's a common number for them.

Wow, 85 eggs.....I'm just imagining a Mother Duck, with 85 babies following her...crossing the road to get to water ...lol Holy Crap.

the question reminded me of when i first got my ducks and my partner asked me "why have ducks they dont do anything" I just love my little flock they are so funny, if i had time i would watch them for hours:)

I have fresh eggs every day. I get 5 Pekin eggs every day and as many as 4 Muscovy eggs most days. My Appleyards and Runner mix ducks are starting to lay as well as my 1 female Rouen. If I do the math, the eggs alone pay for at least 90% of their feed and maintenance. Add to that the meat that is produced by the hatches we allow them to have and the sheer entertainment of them.

What else would you own?
I love them.

They really are hysterical to watch. and adorable, especially as they each get their own personality! My ducks are now 5 1/2 weeks old, but they are gigantic lol. I have 4 fawn and white runners (one is possibly a mix/call duck) and 4 Blue Swedish. How soon will the drakes get their curled feather, anyone know?
smile.png
i'm so anxious to know how many hens and how many drakes! Anyone know when they reach full size, and when they will have all adult feathers? sorry to change the subject!! :)

The reason I have mine is for the sheer joy of being around them. They are friendly, curious, mischevious and mine are actually really cuddly.
A better question would be, "Why DON'T you have ducks?".
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom