Really upset! Re: Neighbor & hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not upset with this lady at all. I was upset about being caught off-guard and not knowing how to respond to somone that I do not wish to offend, but at the same time feeling torn because my feelings are important too. I only learned that in the past few years by the way - that my feelings are important too. My DH taught me that.
The fact is, things are different on this farm now than they were before I came to live here in 2006. I lived on my own in Arkansas for two years before moving up here to the farm. While DH's parents were alive, there would have been no problem with this lady hunting on the property. While his parents were alive, there would never have been two dogs in the house, nor two cats for that matter. There wouldn't have been chickens running willy nilly on the place. Animals to them were not pets. They served a purpose and that's it. But things are different now and I am the difference. That's what makes me uncomfortable. I know I sometimes put DH in a tight spot because he wants to consider not only everything he's ever known, but a different slant on things that he's learned of since he's known me. I don't know any other way of putting it.

I don't eat venison because I don't like the taste. It's not that I don't go for more "exotic" tastes. I kinda like alligator and have eaten rattlesnake. It wasn't until after I met him and someone offered us some venison that DH admitted that he doesn't like the taste either. It seems I have given him something too; the freedom to admit he's not always been comfortable with the status quo. A big mountain of a man that grew up hardened to the ways of life on a farm now runs in all excited to get me outside to show me the latest web that "our" orb weaver spider has created. He only needed permission to show his true feelings; without fear of ridicule.

I don't eat my chickens. Heck, I've got 8 meaties in one of my coops that are now almost 7 months old. that don't do much more than eat a bunch of food and lay an occasional egg; but they seem happy enough to be alive.
Because of severe dietary restrictions and the fact that we simply can't afford to eat two totally seperate diets I have to choose my foods carefully. I can't have anything with gluten in it and no dairy products. I can have meat, some fruits and veggies.
I choose to get my meats from sources that I know raise them humanly and process them the same way.

I will now ask for this thread to be closed before it can get out of hand. Thank you for your participation.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom