Rearranging roosts.... but.......didn't ask Donna!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by artsyrobin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Just for your amusement- we decided after our Christmas Blizzard to redo the roosts, so they would be closer together and stay warmer...looks like its gonna be one of those winters...... sooooo...we get them done last nite and our head hen, Donna, the RIR (who is the friendliest little gal) is having fits

...i can see her thinking- give me back my throne!! She kept bopping the others on the head, so she stayed in the house last nite to keep her out of trouble.

Today I added another roosting pole- nope- not good enough for her, she wanted HERS back, so i gave in and hubby was attaching it to the beam, before he was done she was on it, happily settling in while he was putting in the screws..... meanwhile Lily the LB pullet saw that shoulder and thought...hmmmm...that looks like a good roost.... so there is hubby trying to attach Donnas shelf, nope she won't roost on anything else, and Lilly on one shoulder... just too funny not to share! now she is a happy camper!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hi ya Robin.

Is Lily one of the hens you got from AL. They all look happy!

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    awwwww:p

4. poultryand bees

poultryand bees ~Drives a Magic Poultry Van~

Feb 4, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Isn't it funny/cute how the chickens get used to something and let us know they aren't happy until it is back in its place? Your hubby is a good sport to return the roost that Donna liked so well.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    yep- and she is usually the shy one, the other two are cockerals and very friendly- not lap chickens, but curious...

yep, donna was not a happy girl at all, and she gets real snarky with the others... silly thing!

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] Sounds just like our Molly (an EE). She is the THE boss and gets soo mad if she has to sleep with the rest of the lowly chickens. They are just SO beneath her. [​IMG] She used to roost up in the rafters above the roosts, but we had to lower the roosts because our JG roo is too big to get up on the roosts when they are higher (so she can't get up to the rafters anymore). She had a fit and decided to go sleep in the old coop at the back of the run. It can sleep about 6-8 hens and it leaks air badly (it can be sectioned off for a brooder and chicks i warmer weather). If it were summer, I wouldn't care, but with a cold winter, we had to lock the coop up so she couldn't get in it. Boy is she not a happy camper! [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Good thing she didn't decide she like your hubby as a roost better................ he'd be pretty tired standing in there all night..... [​IMG]

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    She is very serious [​IMG]

9. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    lol, I had that experience rearranging nests! hens pacing around and around, looking for the nests where they used to be - which was just a foot away from where they were relocated!

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehe that last picture says it all...Donna is giving you the "Back as it should be...never move it again" look. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by