Reasons for dying chicks....

duke03

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me understand what is going on with my new baby chicks. They are only 2 weeks old and out of the 8 I started with I'm down to 5. There were no visible signs that would leave me to believe they weren't doing well until they really weren't doing well. One minute they were all chirpy chirpy eating and pooping like mad with all the other chicks and the next minute they won't leave the heat lamp and can barely hold their head up. The only thing I have found that they all had in common was this 'pasting up' thing. I've read alot about it being a very very serious issue so when I discovered it I reacted immediately but to be honest I don't know how long they had been like that. It definitely wasn't days but maybe a few hours. So I'm wondering what actually happens to them during this state to make them go from bad to worse in a matter of minutes. Or maybe that isn't it at all and it was something else entirely I'm just trying to understand so it stops from happening to the others. If it is the 'pasting up' what can I do to help avoid it? Does mineral oil really work or will that create a new problem of the other chicks now having something to peck at.

The temp is fine, they are on medicated starter with fresh water. They have enough space. Their cage is fairly clean. What else will help narrow down the reasons.....

Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The whole thing about pasting is up is the waste their body is trying to get rid of gets backed up and pollutes their systems. Hard to say it was the pasting up that killed the chicks. They could also have cocci. You don't need to see bloody stool for it to be cocci, sometimes just looking like they don't feel well can indicate a cocci infection. And cocci can strike fast, within hours depending on the strain.If you're going to have chicks, you need to have a good cocci medication at the ready.

And FYI, the "medicated" feed is a misnomer. It contains, Amprolium which suppresses the absorption of Vitamin B1 or Thiamine because cocci need Thiamine to survive -- it doesn't have antibiotic or any real medicine in it. It doesn't mean chicks can't still get sick either.

By 2 weeks you should be past the pasty. With them acting and droopy sounds like cocci. Are they outside or in? I'm really not sure why your pasting is lasting so long. I do know with chicks I have reared, keeping them too warm can cause them to get pasty. Maybe someone else has some ideas. I am stumped.

The chicks are in the garage so inside I guess. I haven't read much on the cocci but definitely will now and get some of the meds to have on hand. Is cocci contagious? Should I be worried about the other chicks that shared the space? I separated the sick ones when I noticed sick signs but up until then they were all together.

If the medicated starter isn't really medicated is it necessary? I don't really like medication for myself, my kids, my dogs so I was torn with this chick thing. I was leaning toward regular feed then the few people I asked at feed stores said 'medicated' so emphatically i felt stupid even considering regular starter.

Quote:
I won't comment on your question about the necessity of medicated feed, but I wonder why you don't particularly like medication for yourself, kids or dogs yet thought it was necessary for your chicks. Sounds like your "gut" might be telling something.

Remember the feed store people most likely have no "official" training in poultry health, they are sales people who are doing a job selling poultry feed. Their education may come from some personal experience, but likely most of their poultry feeding education comes from manufacturers of said poultry feed; possible conflict of interest here.

My only experience with chicks so far is 19 hatchery chicks that are thriving and growing on non-medicated feed.

I don't know why you chicks have died, but I am very sorry for your loss.

~Shannon

Cocci ------- try vital in the water gives them a boost of vitamins and or tbs sugar ----make sure nothing but news paper or towel with med feed on top sprinkled no bedding ------ medicated feed---- make sure on the label cocci prevent or something to them terms.

Back
Top Bottom