rebuilding a flock

init4eggs

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
sf bay
I lost a couple bird last week and am now down to single 4 year old hen. She does not seem to miss her sisters, but I think she should have some company. We dont eat as many eggs as we use to so I would like to just add two more hens. I seen other posts that lead me to believe it might be better to add one first then add two more latter once things get things situated. I am hoping to find rescue birds, so I dont if I will be able to do the two step approach.

If I go the 1 then 2 approach would I still need to go the quarantine route when I add the first bird? Not too worried about loosing the flock to disease with a flock of 1, but I am worried about them fighting. I really dont want to build an isolation cage, but would probably need one any way if I do add two more later.

My existing bird is a Delaware,but I am thinking about switching to egg layers as it is unlikely we will ever eat them. As she is a pretty big chicken any thoughts about just adding two younger (but already laying) egg layer type chickens straight away? Assuming I add a pair of already familiar birds would they gang up on her or would they be too nervous as they are in a new coop?

one chicken that lives by itself is "Solo" and is open to new birds because there is no one else around to establish an order, so you can add 2-6 birds and everyone will be alright

one chicken that lives by itself is "Solo" and is open to new birds because there is no one else around to establish an order, so you can add 2-6 birds and everyone will be alright

Thanks for the information SmallFlocker207. That would make things a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom