Recent Posts - Set to 1 hour (instead of 24)

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

The "Recent Posts" link use to show 24 hours. This resulted in 19 - 23 pages of "Recent" posts [​IMG] and we doubt anybody ever went through all 19 pages. [​IMG]

We're going to see how it performs with a setting of only 1 hour. This means about 3 pages of "Recent Posts" during busy times and maybe just one page during slow periods.

Let us know if you have any problems / feedback.

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think that's a really good idea, Nifty! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    MUCH better!

Will this help speed things up around here? [​IMG]

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hope so. There aren't really any huge improvements we can make, but every little bit helps.

For example: We found something on the homepage of BYC that was a tiny bit inefficient. Not really a huge deal... that is until you realize that at peak times of the site usage that page can be reloaded 30 times a minute (imagine hitting refresh every 2 seconds)!!!

The "recent posts" page is about the same, but sometimes it can get loaded up / viewed 1 time every second!

So, yeah, we're hoping it will help. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like a great idea! Sometimes, just to continue my reputation as "contrary", I will go to the oldest posts and look around. And look at the zero answers, to see if I have an answer or at least a "hello, you aren't forgotten".

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Any chance we can get a button to show all posts from the last 24 hours?
    Maybe I'm the odd duck, but I can only get on in the evening after work so I always click recent posts instead of going through every section to make sure I'm caught up. Some times I only make it to page 19 but some nights I'd get all 32!

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:I agree with this. I was gone for a few hours this evening and when I got back on, all the posts were gone except for the most recent ones. I was bummed!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    You can still hit the Show new posts since last visit and it give you everything since your last visit, come back from not visiting for a couple days to 100+ pages. [​IMG]

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:Yep, that would work. [​IMG]

10. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:I agree with this. I was gone for a few hours this evening and when I got back on, all the posts were gone except for the most recent ones. I was bummed!

Same here...., plus I like to continue reading where I stopped the day before. I know, my fault not to subscribe to posts which are really interesting to follow, but....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by