Recently hatched chick can't walk (still need help please)

[Update] I took off the band-aid today and now it can walk, also another hatched last night with curled toes, I put shoes on its feet to help with that. 2 chicks are hatching in the incubator currently

[Update] I took off the band-aid today and now it can walk, also another hatched last night with curled toes, I put shoes on its feet to help with that. 2 chicks are hatching in the incubator currently
Aw, that's great!
I was going to mention a small sling might help it regain it's strength in his legs, but that's obviously not necessary now.
I'm so glad he's better!

Also, where are your eggs from and do you have info about the parent birds? This many foot/leg issues is not normal which makes me wonder what the cause is.
Did you have a separate, calibrated thermometer in the incubator to make sure the temp was correct? The built in ones are very rarely accurate.

This my first time trying to hatch chickens so I tried to have them hatched naturally with the parent but they kept adding eggs and there were to many so a lot of them are at different stages. I decided to get an incubator to take care of some of them, and currently there is one that is doing fine with the mom and a bunch didn't make it since they got crushed by the parent, only one has hatched from the incubator so far and it's the one with the leg problem
Next time...
If you have a hen that goes broody and you want to let her try and sit on eggs to hatch I highly recommend moving her to an area that no other hens can get to.
I would also number the eggs so you can keep track of which eggs have been incubating for how long.

But if you move her to where nobody else can get in the spot you won't have the problem with new eggs being late because of Rudy chicken is not going to be laying eggs when she's sitting on them.

I'm glad to hear the chick and the first post is up and moving.

So the eggs came from your own birds?
What exactly do you feed your flock?

Aw, that's great!
I was going to mention a small sling might help it regain it's strength in his legs, but that's obviously not necessary now.
I'm so glad he's better!
I was thinking of doing the same thing though I'm not sure how I would put one on xD

Also, where are your eggs from and do you have info about the parent birds? This many foot/leg issues is not normal which makes me wonder what the cause is.
Did you have a separate, calibrated thermometer in the incubator to make sure the temp was correct? The built in ones are very rarely accurate.
The eggs are from my own flock, and yes I do, what kind of info do you need? I believe the cause could be due to the fluctuation of temperature and humidity in the incubator. I don't have a separate thermometer, what would be the best one I should get?

Next time...
If you have a hen that goes broody and you want to let her try and sit on eggs to hatch I highly recommend moving her to an area that no other hens can get to.
I would also number the eggs so you can keep track of which eggs have been incubating for how long.

But if you move her to where nobody else can get in the spot you won't have the problem with new eggs being late because of Rudy chicken is not going to be laying eggs when she's sitting on them.

I'm glad to hear the chick and the first post is up and moving.

So the eggs came from your own birds?
What exactly do you feed your flock?
Alright thank you I willl do that next time.
I am too, I was worried I would have to kill it.
Yes, I wanted to start rasing my own chicks instead of buying them.
Not sure, my parents buy the feed

Alright thank you I willl do that next time.
I am too, I was worried I would have to kill it.
Yes, I wanted to start rasing my own chicks instead of buying them.
Not sure, my parents buy the feed
What you feed parents stock makes a difference in the health of chicks so make sure you're giving them a good diet.
A good diet consists mostly of just a complete balanced. Extremely limited treats.

Definitely get Poultry Cell, I didn't read through the rest of the comments but both curled toes and leaning back on the hocks are signs of vitamin B deficiency. :) Glad your chick is doing better!

Back
Top Bottom