recipe for oatmeal crisps wanted

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Any fellow dinosaurs out there? I am looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe that was in an old edition of the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. You know, the cookbook that is in binder form with red and white checks on the cover. It had to have been in an edition before 1970 because the recipe was discontinued in the edition I have. They were called Oatmeal Crisps and they were a really nice crisp cookie. They did not taste like oatmeal cookies at all.

I have a really good cookie called Oatmeal Crispies-I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I can share it, if you want. It is a refrigerator cookie.

I don't think it is the recipe I am looking for, but these sure look good and I'll make them anyway. The trouble is, I never made these cookies myself. I ate them at a friend's house and she told me the recipe was in the BHG cookbook. I was disappointed when I looked in my own BHG cookbook and they weren't there. It was a later edition than hers. I picked up an older edition of the BHG cookbook at a rummage sale, and to my delight the recipe was there. I moved before I had a chance to make the cookies and I haven't yet unpacked all the cookbooks. These cookies look like what I remember, but I don't think the recipe I am looking for had chocolate chips. Doesn't matter. They look yummy. I printed out the recipe and I have all the ingredients so I'm good to go. Thanks.

Oatmeal Crispies
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1tsp. black walnut extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. walnuts
Cream butter and sugars together, add eggs, beat well. Add black walnut extract and vanilla and beat well. Add flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal, and beat. Stir in walnuts until mixed in evenly. Turn out onto wax paper and roll into 4 logs. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Slice into 1/2 in. slices. Bake at 350 for ten minutes, or until golden.

Hello from a fellow dinosaur, I do have that recipe book, I bought it in 1967 and still have it. I will look up the recipe when I get home tonight and get back to you as soon as I can. It sounds like something my grandsons would like too!! I'll get back to you.....

Gee thanks!! Looking forward to it. Found a number of tasty sounding cookie recipes, some from BYC members, but nothing that sounds like what I am looking for.

Hi Cassie,

I looked in my book in the cookie section and all I could find was an Oatmeal cookie recipe that you formed into a roll and sliced off of that? It wasn't called Oatmeal Crisp tho. It's been a busy week here so I was able to just glance thru. I will look again first chance I get, Oatmeal Crisp right?

Hope I can find it for you.

They are called oatmeal crisps and I think they are a drop cookie. I never made them myself so I am not sure. I do have the edition of the cookbook that has the recipe, but it is packed away somewhere. I won't find it until I get all my cookbooks unpacked, and that won't be until the kitchen remodel is complete. If I do find it before you do I will send it to you. It's a good cookie. Thank you for looking.

Back
Top Bottom