Recognizing Infected Frostbite

I've never seen it infected. I've seen it swell up, which generally is the body increasing blood supply to the damaged tissue to get healing started.

I don't even think it can become infected, I've seen frostbitten combs, wattles toes and leg. It's more about there being too much damaged tissue.

I'm wondering how to tell if a frostbitten chicken has become infected. I have a rooster that got frostbite and I want to keep an eye on him. Thanks!

Photos will be helpful.
What parts are frostbitten?

Generally if it's isolated to comb/wattles - depending on how severe tissue can die (turn black) and fall off without any complications.

That said, it's possible that any type of tissue that is damaged and dying could become infected given the right circumstances. Frostbitten tissue can ooze a bit or have watery blisters - you would want to be concerned if you notice thick pus with a strong odor or if your rooster becomes lethargic and stops eating/drinking.

It is just in the comb. I don't think he has an infection, I just wanted to know the symptoms to look for, so in the morning I can check him over thoroughly, but in the morning I will try to get pictures. It did look a little gross for a couple days, but today it looked better. More white and black than with a yellowish hue from what I could see (I assume a slight yellowish hue is normal).

It is just in the comb. I don't think he has an infection, I just wanted to know the symptoms to look for, so in the morning I can check him over thoroughly, but in the morning I will try to get pictures. It did look a little gross for a couple days, but today it looked better. More white and black than with a yellowish hue from what I could see (I assume a slight yellowish hue is normal).
Yes, it can have a yellowish hue. Will wait for photos to comment further:)

Okay I got pictures. I looked at him closer and his comb is still looking a little yellow. I saw no puss, and there was no foul smell.

Attachments

• 20180106_113852.jpg
    20180106_113852.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180106_113858.jpg
    20180106_113858.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180106_114140.jpg
    20180106_114140.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 13
Poor fella. Most likely the yellow parts will eventually turn black and fall off.
I see that the girl next to him in the 3rd photo also has some frostbite.

How much ventilation do you have in your coop?

There are little cracks in the wall between the boards, and there are is a hole on the top on two sides in a triangle shape, and then there is their little door that I close when it gets cold. Now that it is our first winter with chickens, I see that their ventilation isn't perfect, even though my dad and I were careful when building it. :hmm

There are little cracks in the wall between the boards, and there are is a hole on the top on two sides in a triangle shape, and then there is their little door that I close when it gets cold. Now that it is our first winter with chickens, I see that their ventilation isn't perfect, even though my dad and I were careful when building it. :hmm

:hugs It's o.k! The thing about ventilation is you can fix it:)
This article explain ventilation much better than I can, so you may want to read it with your Dad. What you may want to do is add more holes or vents at the top to allow the moisture to escape.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/c...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Back
Top Bottom