Recommendations for a grass or other to do winter overseeding of our run?

NoelC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Howdy,
Wondering if there is a good grass, alfalfa, anything that will germinate well by just tossing lots of seed in our 1/10th acre run. The area is in partial shade, has lots of leaves on the ground and since the chickens have been there has been taken down to dirt in many areas. I'm thinking if I had some good seed that wasn't too pricey it might be good for the hens to have some fresh greens during the cooler months and rebuilt the bare areas of soil. What do you think?

Many thanks for all your help!

Noel

Howdy,
Wondering if there is a good grass, alfalfa, anything that will germinate well by just tossing lots of seed in our 1/10th acre run. The area is in partial shade, has lots of leaves on the ground and since the chickens have been there has been taken down to dirt in many areas. I'm thinking if I had some good seed that wasn't too pricey it might be good for the hens to have some fresh greens during the cooler months and rebuilt the bare areas of soil. What do you think?

Many thanks for all your help!

Noel
Alfalfa, comfrey, clover, forage chicory, pasture grass... Some of the seeds, like alfalfa can be pricey, but shop around. I found small packets of alfalfa seed in a health shop recently. Here's an interesting article on planting pasture for chickens:

http://www.chicken-yard.net/keeping/pasture.html

If you can seed and then rest small areas to allow for germination you might get good results. How many chix in your 1/10 acre?

Last edited:
Quote: It's hard to give a decent answer, not knowing WHERE you are.

The "cooler months" here still average 50* daytime, and mostly above freezing at night.
Many things need to be planted in either Spring of Falls, so not all suggestions will work just in Winter.

Wheat and Cereal Rye both do well here and stay green on into Spring
Growing it in the partial shade isn't going to be easy though

Alfalfa, comfrey, clover, forage chicory, pasture grass... Some of the seeds, like alfalfa can be pricey, but shop around. I found small packets of alfalfa seed in a health shop recently. Here's an interesting article on planting pasture for chickens:

http://www.chicken-yard.net/keeping/pasture.html

If you can seed and then rest small areas to allow for germination you might get good results. How many chix in your 1/10 acre?

millet or sorghum basically the same thing if you find the difference please tell me

It's hard to give a decent answer, not knowing WHERE you are.

The "cooler months" here still average 50* daytime, and mostly above freezing at night.
Many things need to be planted in either Spring of Falls, so not all suggestions will work just in Winter.

Wheat and Cereal Rye both do well here and stay green on into Spring
Growing it in the partial shade isn't going to be easy though

Thank you all for your insights. We are in northern California at about 1800' elevation and right now it's in the high 60's during the day and 50's at night. We generally have pretty mildish winters and cool season lawn grasses grow well now until winter when they can get dormant. We have just 4 hens and again, the area is not stripped per se. I think I'll try looking for a variety of suggested seeds and may see which ones do well for next year. Thanks again ;o)

Noel

Back
Top Bottom