Recommendations for a Solar Coop Door

runnermom

Chirping
Mar 21, 2017
We are going to bite the bullet and buy a solar coop door for my coop. Anyone have any recommendations?

I like the simplicity of the Pullet Shut Automatic door. No track system that can jam and lower height requirement because it opens like a door, it doesn't slide up.

You can check it out at Chickendoors.com.

For most people (no super huge chickens or turkeys and geese), just chickens, I'd get the small door 9.5 wide by 10.5 tall. My birds can easily get through a six inch opening, so I'm going to choke down the opening with blocker boards to six inches. At least that might keep dogs out, mine opens to the wide world.

The regular size is 11 inches wide by 15 inches tall. They also have a double door even bigger for turkeys.

It's about $250 for the door, photo electric automatic switch, battery, and solar panel, whether small or regular sized door.

You also specify right or left hinged. I'm still figuring out my exact layout, so haven't installed mine yet, but very easy, just four screws.

I like the features that you can program open and closing times. I like that it is aluminum and not a plastic door. Looking at the small one in the closed position the door is recessed a good amount with a pretty tight fit so it would be hard to get a toe nail hooked on the door to pry it open (thinking of a coon). If it only had a lock on the opposite side from the hinge it would be a bullet proof door. The attachment to the motor shaft looks solid. If it has a worm gear then impossible to turn the shaft but can't see what the drive mechanics is like.

JT

Hey JT,

I did a ton of research on automatic doors, and it seems to me, I read the gear ratio on the hinge motor is 3,000 to one, which sounds impressive anyway. I'm not going to try and pry it open, but in the closed position it feels solid.

I'm looking at mine now, and you're right, I don't think a coon could pry it open. They specify not to mount it opening in, because then a predator could put their body weight against it and try to push It open. Installed in the proper direction, the predator would be pushing the door into the metal frame, that would never open the door.

All that being said, what really mattered to me were the reviews. I can't recall any negative reviews, and none that said a predator was able to breech the door.

I initially liked the the slotted door, that raises, but it's a much more fragile system. Lots of things can go wrong, misaligned track, a track mounted to a substrate that later warps, debris in the tracks, ice in the tracks, there were too many reports of problems for my taste.

Plus I like it doesn't need as much height, since it swings open, instead of the door raising.

Customer service was good, they answer the phone promptly, and ship promptly too.

A 3000 to 1 gear ratio sounds good. If a coon can't get it's toenail in between the frame and the door sounds like a winner. I really like that is flexible with the programming and not just relying on a light sensor. Sounds like those boys have been around the block once or twice. Put that together with good customer service and you really have a winner.

JT

Back
Top Bottom