Recommendations for cold weather humidity monitor?

We have an acurite indoor outdoor monitor. The "outdoor" probe we have in the coop. It is a bit slow to react to change in temp/humidity. But it generally gives us accurate results. Here is the current humidity as reported near our home and a picture of our monitor. The coop is about 75' from the house and the wireless manages to stay connected.
1639158413884.png

Attachments

• 1639158333382.png
    1639158333382.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
We have an acurite indoor outdoor monitor. The "outdoor" probe we have in the coop. It is a bit slow to react to change in temp/humidity. But it generally gives us accurate results. Here is the current humidity as reported near our home and a picture of our monitor. The coop is about 75' from the house and the wireless manages to stay connected.
View attachment 2924543
Same brand as my two, but much nicer. I suspect mine were just intended for indoor use. I will check this out. Thanks!

Mine didn't have much of a selection when I looked, but that was a while ago, so will check back. Seems like I have to go there for some chicken-related thing all the time!

Agree. Frost or water droplets inside the coop are NOT good.
I have a very two cheap thermometer/ hygrometer combos in separate coop areas. The original coop, where most of the birds roost, usually is 5% to 10% more humid than ambient, but never actually close to dripping wet.
When we first set this original coop up, we kept a door closed, and it was too wet. We learned!
Mary

So far, the coop humidity reading has been mostly below or close to the outside reading when the monitors are working. However, both readings are usually quite a bit lower than the National Weather Service reading at our airport. Since we're situated closer to the river, I would expect it to be higher rather than lower.

Both of mine (one in coop, one outside) will read 16% if the temp drops below freezing, which makes no sense. I have a new monitor with two outdoor sensors coming, hopefully that will be more reliable.

I would absolutely panic if I saw frost on the windows!

Back
Top Bottom