Recommendations for great place of the country to move to...

Not the same. We have trees and lakes. I grow trees from seeds for my own use. I have grown 28 trees so far. They are planted all around my property. I have 5 in pots yet. New seeds from trees I have. Phx is the bare root rose growing capital. Yuma is the lettuce growing capital. We can get two and three crops a year. Have lots of citrus orchards, There are different types of fruit trees and grapes. Shorts and Flip Flops all year if you want.
Don't get me wrong, we do have seasons, just different than back east. I can't say enough about Arizona.
thumbsup.gif

I have to agree with NRacine. Wisconsin is nice. I live in Southwest Wisconsin just south of La Crosse. Tons of recreation available. The rivers, the bluffs, fishing, hunting, hiking trails, bike trails, winter sports, community festivals. I've lived all over the U.S. and found most other places to be lacking in the amount of community activities. This area also has a large population of family owned organic farms. Like the Madison area there is no lack of farmers' markets, co-ops, and agricultural resources.

Here is a photo that was published in National Geographic magazine. It was taken a few miles up the creek from our place:

cooncreek.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, MI! Interesting about the today show thing, ranchhand. I'm in SW Michigan, and I love the setting around here. True, the economy here isn't hot...
roll.png
....but our area seems to be doing better than the other side of the state due to more jobs in Research and Development, and Agriculture.

Our area (and all areas along the shore of Lake Michigan) is great for agriculture and farming. Fruit crops are big here- apples, blueberries, grapes, cherries, etc. Lots of family farms have produce available thru the growing season. Lets see....what else....we have all 4 seasons, great hunting and fishing, and being close to Lake Michigan is like being close to the ocean...nice sandy beaches! The Sleeping Bear Dunes / Traverse City area has some breathtaking scenery along the Lake...

Well...there are lots of great places all over the USA....best of luck in finding the right place for you!

wink.png
I livein Zeeland, Mi. There are still jobs and lots of homes for little money. Right now the house next to me is for sale ..It has 37 acres, an awesome barn and an older brick ranch house. You don't have to buy it with all 37 acres but it is beautiful...
ya.gif

If you're looking for a place with 4 seasons, check out the Panhandle of Texas. Sometimes we get all 4 in one day.
ep.gif

Seriously, the climate is pretty moderate, cost of living is reasonable and there are jobs other than farming available. People are nice and you can even keep chickens (roosters, too) in the city limits of Amarillo.

Wow folks, thanks again for all the positive and helpful feedback!
That picture taken in Wisconsin is breathtaking!

We live in western Kentucky, and have been here since 1981 (moved into our current house Feb. 1, 1983). We experience the glory (and the tribulations!) of all 4 seasons, and are surrounded by forests, lakes, grasslands, and lots of farmland. Here in the Paducah area, we're a half-hour drive from 2 of the most beautiful lakes you'll ever see, we're in a region of FOUR major rivers (five if you count the Cumberland), and there are homes available in every price range. If you live in the COUNTY (not in the city limits!) you can be happy & enjoy as large (or small) a livestock operation as you wish without excessive nitpicking or Big Brother's constant breathing down your neck. A nearby college (in Murray KY) has been voted one of the top 10 best small/intermediate colleges nearly every year for the last 10-15 yrs., and this region is also one of the top 50 in the nation to retire. Check into western KY!
big_smile.png

Another good photo if y'all don't mind. This is from a scenic overlook 5 miles southwest of our home looking north and across the Mississippi River to the Minnesota side. The entire area is a national wildlife refuge. This is about as far southeast as Minnesota goes. A couple miles south of here is the Minnesota - Iowa border.

The creek in the fog covered valley in the first photo flows into the river just south of that land jutting out on the right side of this photo.

overlooka.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone out there looking for houses/acreage in the US, I came across this website and you can look up every state, by county for sale listings.

I LOVE it. It's given me a very good indication of prices in various areas around the country.

Just click on the MAP and go to "BACK to US map" and then you can go to any state and narrow it down by county. I am very tempted to take a road trip soon and check out a few warmer areas!

http://www.landsofmichigan.com/michigan/searchforlandbymap.cfm?search_state_map=MI

I am also voting for Arkansas!! I love love love it here! I moved here from Maryland and do not miss Maryland. I live in the Ozarks, north of a nice sized college town called Russellville.

People are very friendly. Low cost of living, particularly if you are easily entertained (as I am- horses, chickens, dogs). Hector is like Mayberry RFD.

isn't it purty??

16532_007.jpg

16532_floor_n_ride_018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom