Recommended Goat Treats for Making Friends?

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
We would like to make friends with our goats. Any special treats you would recommend that might warm them up to the family? Just table scraps? If so, then what?

Thanks in Advance:D

Anything they love in moderation. Animal crackers, fresh veggies...you name it.

I'm taming Oreo II with alfalfa pellets right now. He thinks they're worth climbing in my lap for
big_smile.png

We have tried a lot of different things, but you cannot beat animal crackers. They are cheap and you can eat them too. I put a mailbox up near the goat pen, and I keep animal crackers in it for my neighbors to use when they bring their grandkids by. Even my biggest scardy cat will come to me for an animal cracker. Kids only get to give them through the fence or they will get mobbed.

We give them a little bit of whole oats.
To be honest though the scaredy goats will come for oats but they still aren't very pet-able. The goat we got as a retired show goat will come for a scratch or a cuddle and yes he loves treats too but he's gladly stick around without.

I know this isn't very helpful in yoru case. I am just mentioning it in case somebody is reading thsi before they get their goats:
get a goat that has been handled from an early age. One that grew up on the range will be really, really tough to tame with anything.

We use animal crackers as well. I just buy the big plastic container of them at costco and it lasts us a good long while. They love them!

Walk in there with a bag of corn tortilla chips, but be forewarned, you will be mobbed. They love 'em and forget about being flighty.

Last edited:
Plain popped popcorn. When we had goats, they loved it. It is cheap and keeps for a long time.

Raisans here. I like the animal cracker idea though. With kids, raisans are harder because they are so small. I am hosting some co-workers and their kids next weekend and was thinking what they could give as treats.

Thanks - going to buy some animal crakers. Give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom