Recommended treatments for sick chicken?

Abarlock

Hatching
Feb 17, 2020
I have a 1yr old Rhode Island Red I found in the corner of the coop yesterday evening. She lost her balance when she tried to walk away from me, will fall asleep very quickly, has dried blood or dark substance around her left ear, left wattle is shrunken in and white in color and she has lost most of her feathers around her neck. I noticed she also has watery diarrhea yellow/greenish in color. I’ve offered to hand feed and she declines the chicken crumbles, treats and water. She is very removed and not her normal self. I first suspected a hawk attack but she was not bleeding from her neck, or any other area.i suspect the feathers simply fell out over night as I found a pile near the roosting area. Feet seem fine (no swelling, discoloration, etc) .i checked on her this morning and she’s still in the box I placed her in set apart from the other hens. I have one other red and 4 black stars in a large coop I clean frequently. they have a very large fenced in area. The other 5 chickens seem to be doing fine. I am heading to the farm store after work but was looking for recomenations on possible diagnosis and hopefully remedies?? Any input is appreciated!

Sorry about your sick hen. First I would get some Poultry NutriDrench that you can give orally. She may be dehydrated or could be weak from an illness. Has she been laying eggs recently? Was she vaccinated for anything? Can you feel of her crop and let us know if it feels empty and flat, or full, hard, puffy, or doughy? What does her poop look like? I would bring her inside in a dog crate or basket to get her warm and watch her closely. Offer some watery chicken feed made into an oatmeal consistency, along with scramble egg bits, or tuna. She may have been getting picked on by the others because they sense she is sick. What part of the country are you from? Is it cold or hot?

Thanks for the reply. I live in northeastern Ohio I got the two reds from an Amish farm for free so I do not know if they were vaccinated I am assuming no :/ it’s cold but not terrible-we average in the 30s.. she’s inside now, I purchased LA200 which was recommended by a chicken farmer to inject in her breast once daily for 3-5 days.. since this morning she’s very weak now, can barely keep her eyes open and head up right. Hopefully the antibiotics can work a miracle but I appreciate the food suggestions as I just put regular feed in the cage for her. Her poop is runny, more like diarrhea yellowish/green/gray in color. I will feel her crop and reply again in an hour once my husband gets home to help with the antibiotics.

Welcome to BYC, by the way. Does she lay eggs? A crop disorder might be a problem if her crop is full and hard or puffy like a balloon early in the morning, or if she has not been eating all day. Smell her breath for a sour odor while you are at it. If you have a vet who would test her poop for coccidiosis or worms. I do hope that she responds to the antibiotics. Here is where to find the crop in the picture below:

1581979957581.jpeg

Welcome to BYC, by the way. Does she lay eggs? A crop disorder might be a problem if her crop is full and hard or puffy like a balloon early in the morning, or if she has not been eating all day. Smell her breath for a sour odor while you are at it. If you have a vet who would test her poop for coccidiosis or worms. I do hope that she responds to the antibiotics. Here is where to find the crop in the picture below:

View attachment 2028957
Crop is empty

I would offer her some wet food and plain water often to prevent further dehydration. Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes would be good to give her. Something like Mareks disease or coccidiosis might be possible if she has some immunity problems.

Back
Top Bottom