Record of cornish X 1 day to processing

blueskylen

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
WV
I have kept records for my 60 Cornish X this spring - going to the processor tonight
so here it goes:

60 Cornish X ordered from Meyers Hatchery arrived 3/17/10 cost 1.09 each plus shipping and vitapack $85.32

Supplies( light bulbs,waterers) plus 17 bags of feed - 850 lbs; 322.65
processing $2.00 per bird 127.20

Total $535.17 or $8.92 per bird invested probably will process at 5 - 8 lbs each

next year I will try to get the feed store to mix my own feed and see if that is cheaper, but i still think it is very reasonable for a more naturally
raised chicken at under $2.00per lb. and will probably sell the 40 orders that I have for $2.25 /lb.

that would make the 20 that I keep about $4.26 / bird or around $.85 / lb. and I am very happy with that.

Thats cool that you have kept track of everything. I would say $0.85/Lb is a great price! I am raising 40 cornish right now and i did some figuring before i started and figured i would spend about $7.50 per bird for a dressed weight of 8-10lbs. But i am doing the processing myself. I am in the middle of building a Whizbang Chicken plucker right now...
smile.png

I know it would be cheaper if we did the processing, but i just can't bring myself to do it. The Menonite family that does the processing do a great job, and for a very reasonable #2.00 per bird, saves me the mess and time involved. If it would be very expensive to process, we'd just have to bite the bullet and do it ourselves, but sure would charge more per bird to the customers ( family members ).

Back
Top Bottom