Recovery

I bet you are she is one lucky duck to have survived an attack like that and to have owners who took her to a vet for treatment. I hope she does make full recovery. Did the vet think she would?
The vet and I both had little hope when I got her there. I still don't understand how she survived just being pulled out because there was only about two inches gap between the hardware wire and the wood. She has no other visible injuries besides the puncture wound on her head.It should have torn a wing off or something. I was actually surprised that the vet bill was less than 200.00 . I don't know if they gave us a discount or something because we take our dogs there. Just to walk in the door at the vet school is 100.00 so I was not taking her there.

They really are amazing how they can recover from such injuries. How are her wounds looking now? Is she on antibiotics? Did you actually see this attack or was she like this when you went out that morning? Sorry for all the questions .
Her wound does not look all that bad. We are giving vet prescribed antibiotics. I did not see the attack. I gave these ducks and all that goes with them to my mother as a distraction because she is dealing with my dad's medical condition. We go out there often to check on them. The story goes that she heard the ducks making noise Sunday night. She did not see the coyote and Rou was out of the coop/run. She chased Rou and they finally got her back in the Run and rigged something for the night. Rou could still kinda walk then. They did not call me until the next morning because they knew I was down with food poisoning. I went out as soon as I heard , improved the quick fix, and took her to the vet. It had to be a coyote or maybe a dog because the hardware cloth was broke too high up for it to be a raccoon .

I would try giving her some oats mixed with peas and meal worms...to get her some protein. I would give her a bit of cat kibble for protein too! I think she might just not be feeling hungry...recovery can do that. Think about when you are sick and you just don't feel like eating...unless it is something that you can't resist. Make sure she is getting tons and tons of water. Don't let her eat her feathers, and molting...mine are molting right now, but I am sure we are not in the same area. She might just be getting used to the weather change. So glad she is healing and that the other are doing fine.

I would try giving her some oats mixed with peas and meal worms...to get her some protein. I would give her a bit of cat kibble for protein too! I think she might just not be feeling hungry...recovery can do that. Think about when you are sick and you just don't feel like eating...unless it is something that you can't resist. Make sure she is getting tons and tons of water. Don't let her eat her feathers, and molting...mine are molting right now, but I am sure we are not in the same area. She might just be getting used to the weather change. So glad she is healing and that the other are doing fine.
Thank you. I was planning on giving her oats tonight but never thought of mixing it with peas and mealworms.We will stop her from eating feathers if it may harm her. Is the cat kibble you are referring to a dry or canned food? I have never had a cat.

Thank you. I was planning on giving her oats tonight but never thought of mixing it with peas and mealworms.We will stop her from eating feathers if it may harm her. Is the cat kibble you are referring to a dry or canned food? I have never had a cat.
I would go with dry cuz the flavor of the wet can be kinda weird and your duck would probably not like it. I would get kitten food so that it is smaller and easier for her to eat.

Back
Top Bottom