Recurring crop impaction, pooing mostly watery urates- is this internal laying?? **poo pics inside**

elocinm

Hatching
Sep 23, 2020
Oregon
First off, thank you to everyone who read my posts about my previous health scares. Alfredo is now up and at ‘em again and even back to laying!

This is Curry. Last dewormed with SafeGuard in the beginning of September. On October 20th I found her laying down out in the yard (not in a horrible looking mangled position or anything, mind you) by herself, next to everyone’s favorite backyard perch (a small table) which looked to be knocked over. She would not come to me even though I was offering everyone treats. When I walked over to her to find out why, she stood up but could barely walk a step or two without falling over. I assumed she hurt her legs falling off of the table when it got knocked over? I hung out with her for a few hours, held her, felt around and looked for any injuries. No obvious injuries, and both legs seemed to work just fine but be a bit sore. I held her and massaged her legs gently for most of the afternoon and by roosting time she was walking again just a but carefully. The next few mornings she laid eggs and seemed to be eating, drinking, and walking just fine.

On October 24th when I let everyone out of the coop in the morning she was hesitant to come out. I felt her crop and there was what felt like a small impaction maybe the size of a large marble. I immediately quarantined her for observation, withdrew food, and began treating her for impacted crop with dulcolax, and probiotic water. She had not laid since maybe the day before this happened.

She seemed to be improving. She was drinking water and eating a little, and I could no longer feel the impaction. I started adding apple cider vinegar to her probiotic water. On the days when she was not eating much I gave her a direct dosing of NutriDrench according to the instructions on the bottle 1x per day. Her crop has not felt squishy as it would with sour crop, but she has had a couple smelly burps here and there. Sometimes you can hear a noise coming from her abdomen/rear that sounds like her stomach is growling.

Unfortunately it seems like every other morning after I find her with an empty crop, it is once again full and hard in the morning. Her poo had never improved much. Stayed very small and mostly clear liquidy. I checked multiple times to see if she had become egg bound. I cant feel any eggs even when probing around inside the vent. She is still drinking lots of water but hesitant to eat. She is becoming more and more lethargic and has gone from just under 4lbs to 3lbs. Is it time to cull my poor baby?

Here are som pictures of her poo from beginning of treatment:
20D859AC-6A73-4964-BDB2-51EF43A767A8.jpeg

087F3AA4-CC2C-43BA-A6B2-27D977637AC3.jpeg

Here is what it is looking like now:
66039447-8F36-41B2-82DA-A61FB76457E8.jpeg

AFCBA2F0-6723-45F9-9D31-5BFE0D380642.jpeg

Her crop looks really odd to me as well so here is a picture of what that looks like:
2CC10FE3-CC27-4C7C-B17E-F5AE5738A3C3.jpeg

Sorry it’s a little blurry, but can you see the odd definition to the sides of it? Not sure what’s going on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 7EFD50DA-C11E-48D3-AE94-213FEC04074F.jpeg
    7EFD50DA-C11E-48D3-AE94-213FEC04074F.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
First off, thank you to everyone who read my posts about my previous health scares. Alfredo is now up and at ‘em again and even back to laying!

This is Curry. Last dewormed with SafeGuard in the beginning of September. On October 20th I found her laying down out in the yard (not in a horrible looking mangled position or anything, mind you) by herself, next to everyone’s favorite backyard perch (a small table) which looked to be knocked over. She would not come to me even though I was offering everyone treats. When I walked over to her to find out why, she stood up but could barely walk a step or two without falling over. I assumed she hurt her legs falling off of the table when it got knocked over? I hung out with her for a few hours, held her, felt around and looked for any injuries. No obvious injuries, and both legs seemed to work just fine but be a bit sore. I held her and massaged her legs gently for most of the afternoon and by roosting time she was walking again just a but carefully. The next few mornings she laid eggs and seemed to be eating, drinking, and walking just fine.

On October 24th when I let everyone out of the coop in the morning she was hesitant to come out. I felt her crop and there was what felt like a small impaction maybe the size of a large marble. I immediately quarantined her for observation, withdrew food, and began treating her for impacted crop with dulcolax, and probiotic water. She had not laid since maybe the day before this happened.

She seemed to be improving. She was drinking water and eating a little, and I could no longer feel the impaction. I started adding apple cider vinegar to her probiotic water. On the days when she was not eating much I gave her a direct dosing of NutriDrench according to the instructions on the bottle 1x per day. Her crop has not felt squishy as it would with sour crop, but she has had a couple smelly burps here and there. Sometimes you can hear a noise coming from her abdomen/rear that sounds like her stomach is growling.

Unfortunately it seems like every other morning after I find her with an empty crop, it is once again full and hard in the morning. Her poo had never improved much. Stayed very small and mostly clear liquidy. I checked multiple times to see if she had become egg bound. I cant feel any eggs even when probing around inside the vent. She is still drinking lots of water but hesitant to eat. She is becoming more and more lethargic and has gone from just under 4lbs to 3lbs. Is it time to cull my poor baby?

Here are som pictures of her poo from beginning of treatment:
View attachment 2401439
View attachment 2401441

Here is what it is looking like now:
View attachment 2401442
View attachment 2401443

Her crop looks really odd to me as well so here is a picture of what that looks like:
View attachment 2401445
Sorry it’s a little blurry, but can you see the odd definition to the sides of it? Not sure what’s going on there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm really sorry that your hen is doing so poorly.
She could very well have a reproductive issue like EYP or Salpingitis.
I had a hen that presented similarly. I treated with antibiotics and calcium for a week and she rallied once for about a week before rapidly declining. I had her euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom