Recurring respiratory problems and new chicks..

jrharte

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Hi,

I recently separated and treated a hen (she was very sick) with baytril squirted into her mouth.

I also treated the rest of the flock for 7 days with baytril in their water as another hen was gurgling but not as bad.

This was only a few months ago.

I now have a gurgling hen again. Do I need to treat with baytril every time or will they get over it themselves.

I also have 3 chicks at about 8 weeks or so old. Can I introduce these to the flock?

There are many different respiratory diseases in chickens, and most are lifelong chronic diseases. Your flock probably has carriers, even the ones who have never shown symptoms. MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT are the common ones, and aspergillosis is one that is caused by mold. If I were you, I would have a chicken tested or have a necropsy done on the sick one to find out what is going on, so you know how to treat it. The chicks will probably get exposed to it. I would take the sick hen out of the flock, and I would close your flock--no birds in, no birds out. Here is a good link to read about the respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom