Recycled Chickens: Let's share what we do to save money and build with recycled materials

Hey guys,
Ok so I haven't been having much luck in finding a playhouse for free/cheap, so I've been trying to think of other things that can be repurposed into a coop. Has anyone ever used a crib as a base? If so, or if you've made a non-traditional coop, PLEASE POST YOUR PICS!!!! Here are some of the ideas I've found online/been toying with: dresser or armoire, or other large furniture; dog house; crib; small shed and then some others that I can't remember right now lol. Also, if anyone has tips for those of us who aren't well versed in carpentry, that would be awesome
big_smile.png
thanks, and keep sending in pics of your recycled coops!!!

I don't have pics, but have read that someone used a childs metal bunkbed frame for a small coop. Used a couple of scraps of plywood for the nest/roosting area and chicken wired the whole thing. You would end up with an 20sq ft run area on lower part. You could get creative with that framework.

I was going to suggest a shipping crate also. Some of them are a pretty good size.

Bunk beds are a terrific idea! My mind is racing with the possibilities B-) I think that's what I'll end up doing. Maybe add some wheels and make it a tractor. Great posts! !!

We have just started with chooks and I found an old wooden aviary, which I cleaned up and rewired, and added shade

cloth for privacy and to keep out the Queensland sun. The chicken run I put together from an old trampoline frame which I wired, I had to cover the top to keep the curious cats out, but still allow the curious children in! We wanted it cheap and cheerful, certainly is that! Chookoz

I love re-purposing free stuff and here a some nesting boxes that work great for us.
Old dresser set out for trash pick-up. I can pull out the drawer and collect eggs. Chickens enter from the back side . I also used
several lower kitchen cabinet.

Chickens enter from back side
I just picked up 2 large shipping crate pallets for free. They are both 8' L x ' 3' W x 4' H they should make a nice and very cheap $ walk-in coop. When I walked into the business and asked about all the pallets and shipping crates they had - The owner was more than happy, he even loaded the first one with his high-low into my truck and told me I could have as many as I wanted. I went back today with my DH and we picked up the second one. The owner said he would remember me so, I stopped and waved at his security camera and parked my truck where it would be seen by the camera. lol

Most of the time they go into nesting box with a buddy. Mine seem to like group boxes. I had used covered kitty litter boxes and last winter there would sometimes be 3 in it laying together. lol

Around here very little gets thrown away. It's also a running joke when Eva and I are out we see things and think"chicken stuff"! As with many of you,packing crates and scrap lumber provided the materials for the hen house and grow-out coop.

An old truck topper became a safe haven in bad weather or when hawks fly over. The girls just love to hang out under it and loaf too!

Plastic coffee cans become waterers scattered around the yard.

Pet taxi's serve as nest boxes and the girls seem to prefer the tops left on them,

Heavy plastic/nylon advertising banners can be stapled on the inside walls of a coop to block wind. Also work well tied on the run fencing as a windbreak in winter or shade in summer. Most stores,mower shops,bars have these and are happy to give the extras away.

Dog kennel panels make up our run of course!

Heavy plastic skids/pallets make great floors/bases for smaller coops(our grow-out coop is built on one of these)

Feeders are made from buckets

I'm sure there other things I'm just not thinking of right now. Sorry there are not any pictures.

Heres another idea that works great for us. Our feeders are made from free pallet boxes. We have found if, the lid comes to a sharp peak the chickens don't perch and roost on feeder but, may use it as a step/jump to fly up to higher roost in the coop.
Our feeders hold 30# to 50# of feed. The feed stays clean and there is no waste. I only need to fill each one, once or twice a month. Total cost to build $3.00 each for hinges. Those are 3" & 4" holes cut along both sides.

Back
Top Bottom