RED AND SORE ROOSTER FEET PICS INCLUDED.....NEED HELP PLS

HOTONE

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Peachland North Carolina

I HAVE A ROOSTER WHOSE FEET ARE RED AND SEEM VERY SORE. HE IS HIGH STEPPING AND WHEN HE STANDS HE LIFTS THE WORSE LEG UP. THERE WERE SOME FEATHERS ON HIS LEGS AND HIS LEGS ARE NORMALLY WHITE.. I TOOK PICS HOPING SOMEONE COULD HELP ME. IT ISNT SCALLY JUST RED. THERE ARE BUMPS BUT DONT KNOW IF THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE THERE. HOPEFULLY THE PICS ARE GOOD ENOUGH...HAD TO HOLD HIM AND TAKE PICS AT THE SAME TIME. PLS SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS AND WHAT CAN I DO ABT IT.

Have you had a lot of wet weather recently? Sometimes their legs can get really irritated/over-sensitive if their feet stay damp for extended periods of time. My other suggestion would be some type of allergic reaction to something. Do you let your birds free range?

Yes we do let them free range. They have been doing that for about 2 years. We have had a bit of rain but wouldnt all of them have that? Is there anything I could put on his feet to help relieve the pain? Im not able to take him to the vet and I dont want to put him down. I wonder if i put him in a dry coop if that would help for awhile.

I agree, looks like an irritation big time! give them a good soak in epsome salt for 20 minutes, them pat them dry and air dry for awhile to see what you are dealing with. NuStock is great stuff! do get him on something dry for a few days. has he gotten into anything scratching like chemicals (fertilizer, gas, kerosene, pool stuff) that may have done that? How about a picture of the bottom of his feet when they are clean? Any mites? (NuStock should take care of that as well)

I have used the A&D diaper rash ointment and it worked good for an irritation too.

I dont think it anything you would need to put him down for yet.
hmm.png

I have a rooster who has similar issues but it isn't his actual feet it is his leg and around his neck. I am not sure what is going on or how to cure it

Attachments

• 20200125_123207.jpg
    20200125_123207.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200125_123202.jpg
    20200125_123202.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 19
Sometimes feather footed/legged breeds can get some irritation around the feather shafts. I would apply some coconut oil to the legs for a while to see if that helps (don't worry about the dirt that may stick to the oil). And roo's seem more prone to the irritation due to the mounting behavior and stresses on the feather shafts. The neck looks like he's getting feather picked by somebody, maybe on the roosts at night, so some observing will answer that. Are some of the shafts bleeding on his neck? The blood will draw more pecking. If they are new pinfeathers that are broken they can bleed a lot and if they won't stop you may have to pull them. Did he molt recently? You can use some plain neosporin on it, or try blue kote to hide it, some say it helps, some say not. It is very messy and stains, so wear gloves and clothes you don't care about, and apply it outside. For stopping the bleeding, use pressure, or apply flour or cornstarch. If that doesn't work then I pull the shaft.

@HOTONE, does this rooster roost on the same roost as the hens do? Kind of hard for me to tell from the pics, but are we seeing the bottoms (soles) of his feet as well as the tops? I'm wondering if something on the roost could be causing the irritation. If he always roosts on the same spot, it could be worth checking to see if his spot needs to be sanded or smoothed out. Maybe he's constantly shifting his feet around, causing abrasion. Maybe I'm reaching, but it's worth checking, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom